Horn problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Horn problems

Confuzed420
12-19-2004, 04:48 PM
My horn doesn't always work when the wheel is turned, sometimes it works, sometimes not at all, but it is fine when the wheel is straight. Does anyone else have this problem, and if so how can it be fixed??

RamAirGT22
12-19-2004, 05:10 PM
*offtopic* But how did you change your font, or is it just my computer????

onesexyga
12-19-2004, 05:18 PM
If you go advanced theres a tab right at the top left.

Confuzed420
12-19-2004, 06:03 PM
above where you type in the thread there is a place for font/size and color

Hodge
12-19-2004, 07:08 PM
yeah i have a simliar problem... my horn sounds like a bitch horn.. i don't like using it, i find the finger works better then sounding like a woman lol

naw but, i'd take it in if your still under warranty or just see if someone can look at it for free, i'ts something electrical

Confuzed420
12-20-2004, 04:15 PM
Tried to search through other threads, my problem seems different. When the steering wheel is straight, the horn works fine, but if the steering wheel is turned at all, it doesn't work.... Does anyone have any ideas???

Malaclypse
12-21-2004, 12:03 AM
The only possibility here is your horn contacts or steering wheel coil. The horn contacts are grounded through the steering wheel. The power for the horn comes through a small piece of copper that passes through your steering wheel coil. This piece of copper is on the end of a spring-loaded clip.

If the recieving end for that clip is broken (its easy to break), you might lose your horns occasionaly. If the coil isn't broken then you likely need horn contacts.

If the positive horn contact is not broken and the tab holding it into the steering wheel coil -is- broken, you'll need a new steering wheel coil (AKA SIR coil, or SIR coil kit.). This is a bit of a PITA to install yourself.

rocketfast123
12-21-2004, 08:32 AM
time for a aftermarket air horn :D

Ryan_dc
12-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Yeah, i got a 98 gt and my horn doesnt seem to quite work when the wheel is turned but it works perfectly normal when its straight. I still have no clue why this happens.

Confuzed420
12-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the info- I'll have to check into it further, or just start carrying a marine air horn bottle in the car... :metal: