motor mount [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : motor mount

twisted
12-20-2004, 12:10 AM
does anyone know how to remove the upper passanger side one i need to replace mine and am wondering if i need to support the engine or should it be fine just to pop it off and throw the new one in ?

Ridenour
12-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm pretty sure you need to support the engine - if you put a 2 X 4 across the oil pan and then jack the 2 X 4 that should support the engine without damaging the oil pan - wait for a second opinion first though

twisted
12-22-2004, 12:42 PM
any second opinions ??

Draug
12-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, you need to support the engine.

A piece of wood the length of the engine will support the engine, without cracking the pan. That is what I have done while replacing my LIM gasket (which requires the removal of that motor mount)

BTarb24
12-23-2004, 12:32 AM
I just had to do this a couple days ago to be able to change my power steering pump.

put a 2x4 on a jack and position it front-back so that it travels the long way of the car and at the passenger-most side of the oil pan. Jack it up slowly until you see the car just barely start to move. This is just to support the engine so that it doesnt put too much stress on the other mounts when you remove one.

Remove the cruise control module. To do so you just lift up on the black metal binding that goes around it and it will pop off and u can move the module.

There is a silver plate that is bolted to the top of the mount and to the engine(2 bolts on each side). You will need a deep-well socket(forgot the size). Once you take those off you can then remove the plate.

Now just take off the two nuts that secure the mount to the chasis and you're done.

When you put the mount back on you may have to pull the engine forward or push it backward to get the holes on the mount to line up.