I Use To Like My GrandAm, or should I hate the mechanic? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : I Use To Like My GrandAm, or should I hate the mechanic?

wvharleygal
12-20-2004, 02:13 AM
I bought my GrandAm brand new, only owner, it now has 44,000 miles on it. I could tell the brakes needed to be replaced. I took it Meineke and they said that it needed rotars replaced also, they did replace brakes with non-metalic lifetime ones and new rotars. The ride still squeaked, and rubbed. I took it back after a week and they then said it needed ceramic brakes instead of non-metalic. These rotars they said could not be turned, and said that sometimes this even happens at earlier mileage. My brakes now squeak even louder and still rub. I called this dealer and they now say that it might need calipers replaced. They are telling me that this brake problem is the norm for all GrandAms. I asked, they never did this when I bought it. They said that the brakes were sealed then and now the seal is not there, that I will have problems forever with this car. I am really upset with these brakes and such. It cost me $185.00 to put first brakes on and new rotors, then it cost $23.00 more to put ceramics ones on the second trip there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I did wrong or what I can do now. I certainly appreciate any and all advise. Have a good day.....

digitalquirk
12-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Here's my suggestion: get another opinion. I took my wife's Neon into Meineke to have the air conditioning fixed. They replaced the compressor with a supposedly "Refurbished" used one, which started leaking a year later.

juanvan
12-20-2004, 07:12 PM
yeah def get the second opinion, and if the brakes still have problems look into chaning the brake lines instead of the calipers, first!
Buddie of mine had 2 calipers, 4 sets of roters and 4 sets of brakes before changing the 5 dollar brake lines... and the lines were the problem! figure that one out..

AznGA
12-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Everyone seems to have the creaking noise from the front brakes. When my car was under warranty, I had dealer replaced front brake hardware. Noise came back. Midas replaced front pads and the noise came back again. They said they got new ceramic ones for me and now the squeak noise is back again, but it's really quiet.

I got my car new and now I have 61000 miles on it. My rear brakes have never been touched. I got front rotors machined once and got front pads replaced twice. It's still running good.

mightypan42
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
Is the dealer Crown Pontiac or Moses GM? Sounds like Crown, but I could be wrong. From my experience, Crown seems to know what they're doing a little better than Moses. Unfortunately, Nitro's too far away for most of what I've had fixed, so I'm stuck with Moses :doh:

Back on topic (kind of...) About 2 weeks after I got my GA at Crown, I took it back because my rotors were warped. They got replaced, and I haven't had any problems since then. That was almost 2 years ago (March 2002). I forget what it cost, but my problem got fixed.

NorKoastal
12-21-2004, 02:26 PM
My creaking was pad related...