Loud Whine On Cold Start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Loud Whine On Cold Start

Intuit57
12-20-2004, 05:57 AM
Good Morning;

We are having a major deep-freeze here in Toronto and my car sounds as unhappy about it as I do!
When I first start the car (no block heater plug-in available) there's a LOUD WHINE coming from the engine. I've just spend an hour searching/reading this forum for anyone with the same problem. Some people were saying it is the power-steering pump; that the fluid is thick when cold etc. I suspect that is my problem as well...BUT, when I give the engine some gas the noise becomes louder and higher pitched. (I'm talking head-turning loud!) So would that still be the power steering? The noise stays a long time...until my car REALLY warms up to normal operating temp.
Okay, so IF this is my problem...do I need to be concerned? Is there something I can do/fix/replace? Am I causing any damage driving it when it's making that noise?
P.S. I have changed my belt to a gatorback about 2 years ago.

Thanks

Here's the link to the forum posts that sound like my issue;
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28778&highlight=power+steering+pump

Mike Jung
12-20-2004, 06:09 AM
Good Morning;

We are having a major deep-freeze here in Toronto and my car sounds as unhappy about it as I do!
When I first start the car (no block heater plug-in available) there's a LOUD WHINE coming from the engine. I've just spend an hour searching/reading this forum for anyone with the same problem. Some people were saying it is the power-steering pump; that the fluid is thick when cold etc. I suspect that is my problem as well...BUT, when I give the engine some gas the noise becomes louder and higher pitched. (I'm talking head-turning loud!) So would that still be the power steering? The noise stays a long time...until my car REALLY warms up to normal operating temp.
Okay, so IF this is my problem...do I need to be concerned? Is there something I can do/fix/replace? Am I causing any damage driving it when it's making that noise?...
Sounds like the power steering; weird mine was not making the any noticeable noise this morning at 1am & at 5:30am.

If your '99 GA has not had this TSB fix/repair relating to power steering pump noise, it could make the noise become more noticeable from lack of power steering fluid being able to flow.
I had this TSB covered under my original manufacturer's warrenty before it ran out in 3-years; after complaining about power steering noise to the dealer.

TSB # 99-02-32-002 for '99 [built prior to Feb '99] GA's: Power Steering System Noise Concerns -(Replace Power Steering Hose, Enlarge System Restrictor)

Also try a power steering fluid change DIY with a turkey baster from the tank (replacing the fluid in the tank a few times), a bit at a time until your replaced most of it.

Slim
12-20-2004, 07:48 AM
It's the power steering pump. Mine makes the same noise when it's really cold outside. My car was plugged in overnight and it still whined this mornign albeit not as bad. Once the car warms up, the noise goes away.

To test it, turn the wheel when it's making the noise, you'll hear the whine change pitch as the pump works harder.

Best way to fix it, change the fluid, it's just old and gets really thick when cold.

Intuit57
12-20-2004, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. I just warmed the car up...let it idle for about 12 minutes, then drove it for about 30 minutes. The power steering pump-noise was still obvious even after all that warming up!? Also, with the engine turned on I opened the power steering cap to check the level (some poster on here suggested that) and it kind of exploded...ooozed out the cap as if it was under pressure...is that normal?

Is my pump toast?

Slim
12-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Hehe... Yeah the pump puts the fluid under pressure. You shouldn't check it with the engine running. Try a fluid change first. If that doesn't work, you can either live with the noise or replace the pump.

AznGA
12-20-2004, 03:52 PM
I think I get the whining noise when the car is rolling. Does this have to do with steering pump? Because I got one replaced under warranty and the noise has been heard ever since. I guess dealer replaced it with a bad one?