Replacing Plug Wires [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Plug Wires

Infernall
12-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I just took my car in to the local GM dealership to have the spark plugs changed. I figured at 95,000 kms, it might be a good idea to keep up on maintenence.

The new plugs are the recommended AC Delco variety. While the mechanic was replacing the plugs, he noticed that my wires looked chewed on, almost like a mouse or rat got hungry for rubber. I took a look and sure enough, there are a few cuts in the covering of a couple wires. The ends of the wires that go on the distributor were a little bit rusted. The tips of the distributor poles on 2-6 and 1-3 have a little rust as well.

1. Can I safely cover the plug wires with electric tape in the bad parts until I can replace them?
2. Should I clean off the rust from all contact with a fibreglass contact scratcher/clearer and use a little di-electric greese on the contacts to prevent the rust from coming back?

I will replace the wires when I have some more cash, but I can't justify the distributor caps needing to be replaced when it seems I just need to clean them.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

tenspeed
12-21-2004, 05:15 PM
I think you can fill the gnawed areas RTV silicone and cover it with tape. The idea is to keep moisture from causing a short to ground.

A couple of boxes of DeCon will keep the mice occupied and out of the engine compartment.

mcgrady
12-21-2004, 07:15 PM
Unless you've had a service engine light come on indicating a misfire, the wires are probably ok for now. Like tenspeed said, silicone with tape over it would do a better job of keeping moisture out of those cuts on your wires than just tape.

As for your coil packs, it would be a good idea to clean the rust off and use die-electric grease to keep it from happing again.