Car won't shift out of park 96 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't shift out of park 96

laviza
12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I have a 96 Grand Am Gt and the bugger won't shift out of park today. I can hear the brake release button working and I can press the shift button in all the way but it won't move out of park.

Stumped,

L

FastEddieG
12-26-2004, 01:27 PM
Sounds like the safety switch on your brake, which requires that the brake be pressed (thus flipping the switch) before you can shift it out of park. This is to protect the stupid few of the world that don't know how to press the brake before putting it into gear and probably ran over some innocent bystanders. So they added yet another stupid person protector that everyone has to deal with and yet another thing to break/fail.

This very thing just went out on my folk's navigator, and in the interim, they turn the key to on, before starting it, shift into Neutral, start the car, and then since you are not in Park, the switch is out of play. They can shift into R/D/OD/1/2/3 etc. It may or may not work in the GA, but it's worth a try. Check the manual, the Navigator's manual had the bypassing information in it.

Hope that helps,
-Ed