2.4 TwinCam running hotter than normal??? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 TwinCam running hotter than normal???

82-T/A
12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Damnit, just when I have two cars that run absolutely perfect, one of them starts to have problems.... hehe.. figures I suppose.

My 1997 Pontiac Grand Am has the 2.4 TwinCam.

It normally drives at 1/4 temperature mark.

The past 2 days, it's been driving a little bit hot, not really that much warmer (still a hair below the mid-level) but it's definitely hotter than normal.

What could the problem be?

The waterpump isn't leaking.. although, I'm not sure if it WOULD actually be leaking (would it?). It's practically built into the block and driven by the timing chain.

Is it possible that my thermostat is going bad?

Does anyone know where the thermostat is on the 2.4 Twin Cam?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Hodge
12-21-2004, 07:21 PM
it should be around 200... a little over when it is hotter... but 1/4 is like 150 and that isn't right... just below 200 is definitely ok

82-T/A
12-21-2004, 07:37 PM
Well, when I say 1/4, I mean 1/4 on the gauge after it's past the warm-up mark. 1/4 of the way through the distance between the cold and hot sections.

Hodge
12-21-2004, 07:43 PM
what is the degrees? if it is a little higher than 200 or lower it is ok.

82-T/A
12-22-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't honestly know...

I drove the Crown Vic today.

The thing is, it's hotter than it normally runs, or has run for the past year that I've owned it.

This car was abused before I got it, and while it is running quite well now (I've replaced a few things), I don't know what kind of treatment it was given before me.

I suspect it might be the thermostat.. I think it's getting stuck in the closed position. Luckily, I took the engine out of my other 97 GrandAm SE I used to have (totalled). I've got it sitting in my garage waiting for a swap into one of my Fieros, so I can practice on that.. to see what kind of a pain it is to remove the thermostat.

Guess now's the time to go with a 180..

carsarecool
12-22-2004, 11:36 AM
the thermostat is behind the waterpump and timing chain- pretty sure the 96-98 and 99+ 2.4's are basically the same, you are REALLY lucky you're gonna do that by yourself, my waterpump went on my 99 2.4 (coolant light kept comin on) they said they might as well do the thermostat too while they had everything off otherwise it would cost more to do it separately later on- total was $770 for the waterpump, thermostat and labor. the t-stat was only 14 bucks by the way.