rattling/clunking in front end [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : rattling/clunking in front end

cals400ex
12-22-2004, 01:55 AM
my car has some rattling in the front end. it sounds like something is just loose. it is hard to describe. the car has 60 K on it. the struts should be good. i am pretty easy on the car. you get the rattle with any non-blacktoped surface, it can be as little as a rock road. also, when i apply the brakes, sometimes i hear a small ticking noise. it almost sounds like ball joints making noise. i don't know if anyone has had similar problems but i would like to fix them. i have already applied grease to the top of the strut mounts. what else can i grease/tighten in the suspension on the front of the car?

NorKoastal
12-22-2004, 11:21 AM
60K is > the life of a stock strut... Replace that then listen..

cals400ex
12-22-2004, 02:58 PM
tell me your joking. how will i know it they are bad? the car doesn't seem to sag or sway on corners. the ride is the same as normal, a bit stiff.

NorKoastal
12-22-2004, 05:30 PM
The ticking and the rattle have to be from two different sources....

Struts, and strut mounts are wearable parts... Get some lithium grease and shower the inside of your strut towers from the top slits (under the hood) Not sure if you used this type of grease or not. Check the pads and brakes for any play or excessive wear.... Might need some tightening... How many miles on the struts??? How are the rotors?? Any big grooves??

cals400ex
12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
after doing some reading, i found another member who had this same ticking. he called it a creaking. he said it was from dirty calipers. after he cleaned and oiled the moving parts, the noise went away. it felt like this was brake related. off to the slight clunking. the noise feels like something is just a hair loose. yes, i used lithium grease in these grooves. i didn't explain that very well. the struts have 60K on them. the brakes rotors don't have any deep groves and the pads appear to be in great shape, well they have plenty of pad. i don't think the clunking is related to brakes though. i am not sure what else to check. i don't even know if you really want to call it a clunking. it is more like a rattling clunk that that happens several times per a few seconds if your on a rock road for example. it can be flat. this doesn't happen when hitting pot holes, just a nice rock road.

NorKoastal
12-23-2004, 11:04 AM
I had creaking... My issue was from bad pads.. Get some brake silicone grease (none on the pad surface).. It is made for the greasable slides and the back of the pads... This should help...

60K is still alot for the struts..

MizzyGt
01-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Ok, I'm not sure what the problem is, but I've just encountered that my self. It sounds like it is coming from the steering area under the hood. I think I've narrowed it down to either a.) a ball joint or b.) the rack and pinion. I took it to the mechanic to have a ball bearing fixed on the right side and then the sound (rattling and clanking when I turn the wheel) started up. He said it was the rack and pinion, and that it's not worth the money to fix it. Though to me it sounds like a ball joint which is a serious problem, if that goes, then the tire falls off. I would first check those two things

Zurge
02-13-2005, 07:56 PM
I too have a cluncking noise coming from the front drivers side of my car, and passengers. The drivers side is alot more noticeable. I have yet been able to find out what is making that noise.

GAGT7386
02-13-2005, 08:46 PM
I have the same problem ... keep us posted if you find anything out

ram444
02-13-2005, 08:50 PM
Try getting youre ty rods looked at. I had to have mine replaced around the same time.

cals400ex
02-16-2005, 10:01 PM
the ticking/creaking was just the front pistons in the calipers. there is a TSB going around on that now. you guys are referring to a different clunk than i am. mine really isn't a clunk. when i am going like 10 mph on a flat rock road i can hear a rattling noise that sounds like it is suspension related. it only does it when its cold outside. i am not sure how to explain it. it almost appears to be the shock covers (i am not sure if this is what they are called but the plastic/rubber material piece that protects the shocks inside the springs) is rattling.

Hodge
02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
my whole suspension clunks like a mother****er... cause my struts are shot, which i replace next week. we will see if my mounts are shot

NorKoastal
02-17-2005, 12:12 PM
the ticking/creaking was just the front pistons in the calipers. there is a TSB going around on that now. you guys are referring to a different clunk than i am. mine really isn't a clunk. when i am going like 10 mph on a flat rock road i can hear a rattling noise that sounds like it is suspension related. it only does it when its cold outside. i am not sure how to explain it. it almost appears to be the shock covers (i am not sure if this is what they are called but the plastic/rubber material piece that protects the shocks inside the springs) is rattling.

Sounds like your referring to the strut mounts.... I replaced mine and the noise is still there.... Im going to get a full blown inspection/drive test so I can fix that sound... Its not loud, but annoying knowing its there...

JermsGAGT03
02-17-2005, 03:26 PM
ok I have the same issue and been having it for over 2 years now. The dealership has put at least 3 new sets of struts and strut mounts and both sides of the car and still hasn't fixed it yet. But just about 2 weeks ago it was in there again for that same problem and when I am sitting still turning the steering wheel bck and forth from left to right it was making sort of a clunking noise too so they put a new steering gear box in and said that it would take care of both problems but it didn't. The car no longer makes that noise when I turn my steering wheel but it does still clunk in the front end. Just to let ya'll know I have called GM so much with the issues on this car that they extended my warranty to 7 years/75,000 miles for free and when I got it out of the shop last time they gave me free oil changes/tire rotations for free. If more of us starts calling in on these damn cars and they have to start paying out more then maybe they'll get off there ass and start fixing them. Who knows maybe we can get a recall on em and get it fixed even if your cars out of warranty. Just call em up and tell them u just wanted to let them know what ur going thru with your car.

Sc0oB
02-18-2005, 03:34 PM
I have this same problem and its starting to really annoy me.i could here it right when i bought my car about 1yr ago but just a little clunk.I had it in the GM shop twice they dint know wtf it was or if they could even hear it. after my warrenty ran out it just got allot worse (figures). tuesday 22nd i have an appointment at the GM dealership that i bought my car at and were going for a drive to see wtf it is i'll keep you guys posted.

brsexton
02-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I have this same problem and its starting to really annoy me.i could here it right when i bought my car about 1yr ago but just a little clunk.I had it in the GM shop twice they dint know wtf it was or if they could even hear it. after my warrenty ran out it just got allot worse (figures). tuesday 22nd i have an appointment at the GM dealership that i bought my car at and were going for a drive to see wtf it is i'll keep you guys posted.

Have you had your Stabilizer bar bushings lubed or replaced? I had a Pop\clunk type noise. They replaced those and it went away for a few thousand miles, then it came back. I sprayed some lube on them and it went away again. This may or may not be the same issue you are having.

NorKoastal
02-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Can Anyone post pictures of where they are referring to (talking about clunking/bars/bushings) and what parts are getting lubed or checked.. Might help everyone out a bit...

badboy2451
02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
mine sounds like the exhaust is loose and rattling a little bit, i checked the entire thing and nothing is loose. Anybody else relate to this noise that you guys are talking about??

Chevylover54
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
I have the same sound in my car in the RF. It sounds like a bad strut to me.

Sc0oB
02-22-2005, 10:30 AM

Ok so i brought it in today and the mechanic said it was the front right strut mount since it only clunks when i turn right.if i put my head by the strut mount and rock the car i hear a small click..so im gonna get that replaced ill keep u guys updated...i hope this works!!

JermsGAGT03
02-25-2005, 12:39 PM
I have had at least 3 sets of struts and strut mounts put on both sides of my car and I still have the clunking noise. I'm beginning to think that might not be our problem or at least not mine anyways. Keep us posted if that fixes ur car.

NorKoastal
02-25-2005, 01:18 PM
I might try the rubber gasket Idea out in the next month.... Raise the car unbolting the strut mount to the tower only on the top.. Then I am going to slip a piece of rubber "material" into the gap between the tower and the mount.. Then tighten it all back up.. If the noise suppresses than I know that the mount is not compressed enough for the unit to settle without bouncing around and "clunking over pebbles"

bigtard
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
I have a clunking noise in the front of my Grand Am. It's not the struts. They were replaced about 8,000 miles ago. It's not the ball joints. Those were recently inspected. The mechanic said it's probably the rack and pinion. They said it would cost $700 to fix.

I hear it whenever I drive over just about anything - cracks in the road, expansion joints, manhole covers, etc.

GMFreak
03-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Haha, I have this exact same problem on my '99 SE2. Replaced brakes, tie rod ends, sway bar links.. still makes the noise. Hopefully we figure this out.

blundon
03-13-2007, 04:35 PM
hey guys the n-body cars have a few problem areas that could relate to these problems...some areas that u should check out are, strut mounts,sway-bar bushings,ball joints,tie rods, and also one that i havent seen in this post yet would be the control arm bushings. this is the round bushin in the rear part of your control arm, take off the wheel of the suspected side and use a light to look at the bushing, if there are craks or tears or if the bushing is tearing out of the metal sleeve that will give u a nocking noise...very simple to replace but the bushing has to be pressed in and out

nate2023
05-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Mine does the same "knocking/clunking" and its a passanger side Strut mount, tightening and greasing wont help when the bearing on the mount goes bad. Mine does it on stoney drivways and dirt roads. Expect everything on the passanger side to break, I already went through one of them, replacing it the first time fixed it, but i'm an aggressive driver and it went again. :)

2000GAGT
06-12-2008, 08:05 PM
so i was driving down a dirt road that became ugly and i was basically "off roading" (not on purpose) long story short...now when i turn the wheel either direction there are "click / popping / clunk" sounds. this only happens at a dead stop or very light speeds in a parking lot. no sounds over bumps or at highway speeds. also when i jacked up the front end and turned the wheel either way there is no sound. what would cause it to only make sounds when it on the ground? i checked the tie rods, balljoints and CVs but there is no noticeable leaks or cracks. also when making a U-turn, the steering wheel then acts as if its slighty stuck to that direction and will pull that way down the road. is the steering gear sticking? or could it be something in the suspension?

lone_wolf025
06-12-2008, 08:54 PM
so i was driving down a dirt road that became ugly and i was basically "off roading" (not on purpose) long story short...now when i turn the wheel either direction there are "click / popping / clunk" sounds. this only happens at a dead stop or very light speeds in a parking lot. no sounds over bumps or at highway speeds. also when i jacked up the front end and turned the wheel either way there is no sound. what would cause it to only make sounds when it on the ground? i checked the tie rods, balljoints and CVs but there is no noticeable leaks or cracks. also when making a U-turn, the steering wheel then acts as if its slighty stuck to that direction and will pull that way down the road. is the steering gear sticking? or could it be something in the suspension?

I got the same thing with the clicking/popping and stop/very light speed. My vote is the rack but I don't know for sure...

williamGT
07-08-2008, 11:46 PM
My car does it now....Strut mounts replaced, Both ball joints, right front hub and all 4 rotors and brakes.....left front clunks, when I bounce the car on the left front end it makes a clunk sound and going slow and stopping.....sounds like swaybars?

DaRkWaVe
09-29-2008, 04:40 AM
My car is doing this now as well. I believe the rack and pinion is rattling. Very annoying. This started after I replaced my wheel bearings for the second time.

DaRkWaVe
09-29-2008, 04:51 AM
...Also the rattling goes away when the brakes are applied. I am stumped.

gagt Mechanic
09-29-2008, 07:59 PM
the smart people at gm decided to make hollow sway bars on a lot of their vehicles. they break at the ends quiet offten, check where the sway bar connects to the link pins for cracks or total breaks. vert lower controle arm bushings are also very common. strut mounts go bad on average 40-60k, strut mounts are sold seperate from struts. clicking noises at low speeds and turning can also be caused by half shafts, check for ripped cv boots.

GrandAmGT-2008
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
i have 100k miles on my car, and my only rattling problem was the drivers side hood hinge rattling.

DaRkWaVe
10-01-2008, 04:07 PM
i have 100k miles on my car, and my only rattling problem was the drivers side hood hinge rattling.

I'm jealous.

scs411scs
10-11-2008, 11:03 PM
...Also the rattling goes away when the brakes are applied. I am stumped.

My car is doing the same thing...a little bit of searching turned up this service bulletin...might be worth a shot at seeing what is involved

EDIT: oops, forgot to include the link to the AD
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16897

GrandAmGT-2008
10-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm jealous.

really? mine hasn't been bad at all.. only probs had was the lim leak, clogged cat, power steering pump, and the blower motor resistor. no rattles. plus i used to drive down a mile long dirt road a few times a day.

2000GAGT
04-04-2009, 07:08 PM
to open an old thread, i figured out what was wrong with mine a while back. I had a broken spring!! some how i snapped the sucker in half yet it was still working? replaced it with a $30 one from a junk yard and all is well :)