Car won't pass NY inspection because of aftermarket gauges?!?!?! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't pass NY inspection because of aftermarket gauges?!?!?!

lightningGA
12-22-2004, 08:08 AM
OK....today I brought my car in to have the "case learn" done for my DHP PCM....all went well and they only charged me $29+tax. :D

Since the car was already hooked up to the TECH2 they read and erased the codes too. One of the codes was for disconecting the oil pressure "dummy light" sensor. Well that's fine because I have an Autometer oil pressure gauge installed so I can monitor the actual pressure.

Well acording to the tech...he said it won't pass the new "Inspection regulations" in NY because if "ANY" code is present they can't pass it. So I asked if there's anyway around it and he said yeah....install the old sensor and drive it around for a few weeks before you bring it in. Yeah like I want to climb under the car and change the sensor everytime it gets inspected. WTF is with that?!?!?!

So here's my question....is there any way to get around this.......there's only 1 wire that goes down to the sensor. Does any one know if the sensor is just an open and closed switch or is there resistance on the line or what?

mr_eh
12-22-2004, 10:42 AM
damn that reminds me, yeah they cant pass you with the code, my uh, friend, had to clear the code and then pass it, it came back a few min later, i have about 500$+ to spend to get the lights off for totally non important things =P

MagusXIII
12-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Lightning, when you disconnect your battery, how long does it take for the code to reappear? With OBD-II systems, I have known them to require 40-60 miles of driving and/or a couple hours of driving time to reinitialize the sensors and bring OBD-II back online. This past summer when I still had my ZX2, I knew I would not pass Ohio's OBD-II inspection because I have a code for defective/inoperative vehicle speed sensor...hardly an emissions component. I KNEW my car would pass ALL smog regulations regardless.

So what I did to pass was to disconnect the battery and leave it off while at work. 8hours later, I reconnected it and drove straight to the inspection station 12-15 miles from work. When I was at the station, I was told their TECH2 could NOT access the OBD system and I could either come back later OR take a dyno test where they actually spin the car on the rollers. So needless to say, I took the dyno test....and passed EVEN CLEANER than my results in 2002!

So if NY inspections give you the choice of taking a test on the dyno rollers in the case of the OBD system being unaccessible, disconnect your battery right before going to the staion as long as it is relatively close.

Now I know this was done with a Ford OBD-II system. However, while I was there, a GM service manager explained to me WHY the system was not listening to the TECH2. So I would guess that GM OBD systems behave the same way.

04GT4me
12-22-2004, 08:59 PM
call me dumb for not knowing for sure, but instead of removing the oil thing that u said u did, cant u just tap into it so it doesnt throw a code, and still have ure gauge be functional?

lightningGA
12-23-2004, 05:50 PM
anyone know if the one original wire is + or ground?? I'm determined to figure this out after the holidays. I need to get a meter so I can go test it.

MetaGTP1
12-23-2004, 06:58 PM
OK....today I brought my car in to have the "case learn" done for my DHP PCM....all went well and they only charged me $29+tax. :D

Since the car was already hooked up to the TECH2 they read and erased the codes too. One of the codes was for disconecting the oil pressure "dummy light" sensor. Well that's fine because I have an Autometer oil pressure gauge installed so I can monitor the actual pressure.

Well acording to the tech...he said it won't pass the new "Inspection regulations" in NY because if "ANY" code is present they can't pass it. So I asked if there's anyway around it and he said yeah....install the old sensor and drive it around for a few weeks before you bring it in. Yeah like I want to climb under the car and change the sensor everytime it gets inspected. WTF is with that?!?!?!

So here's my question....is there any way to get around this.......there's only 1 wire that goes down to the sensor. Does any one know if the sensor is just an open and closed switch or is there resistance on the line or what?I hope the tech didn't erase the DHP changes. Got to love NY inspections. The new SES portion of the new inspection is just a revenue generator. :whistle:

SpyhunteR
12-23-2004, 08:20 PM
how about you just make a T and have both sensors there? just make sure it's mounted so it won't get torn offf by a random animal.

lightningGA
12-23-2004, 09:52 PM
I hope the tech didn't erase the DHP changes. Got to love NY inspections. The new SES portion of the new inspection is just a revenue generator. :whistle:

all the DHP changes are still there...........and I completly agree about the new inspection regulations :scream:

Any one else have a problem with getting there GA inspected here in NY yet??

Mirage
12-23-2004, 11:57 PM
i dont know what hookup you use, but as far as the way i used to tap into my o2 sensor for my airfuel ratio gauge i used one of the "pigtails" that go inbetween the sensor hookups with the wire sticking out to tap into it.. i dont know if its the same thing your talking about, but maybe they make somethign like that for what your talking about someplace, its worth a shot?

lightningGA
12-24-2004, 07:54 AM
i dont know what hookup you use, but as far as the way i used to tap into my o2 sensor for my airfuel ratio gauge i used one of the "pigtails" that go inbetween the sensor hookups with the wire sticking out to tap into it.. i dont know if its the same thing your talking about, but maybe they make somethign like that for what your talking about someplace, its worth a shot?

it's completely different....you have to replace the sending unit sensor for the oil pressure gauge. I also have the A/F gauge so I know what your talking about.

jimraelee
12-24-2004, 08:59 AM
how about you just make a T and have both sensors there? just make sure it's mounted so it won't get torn offf by a random animal.

this has been done before on other cars with same situation.. take sensor off and go to the autoparts store... look thru there brass section. its probably 18NPT thread and get a tee for both sensors to plug into... you may need to look for a Y type adapter if space is an issue... onboad pcm will be happy and also your trick guages.. Yes the single wire is ground when oil pres is present

lightningGA
12-24-2004, 10:29 AM
so the wire is grounded when there is oil pressure.....do you know if the switch is a simple open and closed switch?? If so I should be able to just ground out the wire and the PCM will see that the oil pressure is OK.

Malaclypse
12-24-2004, 12:12 PM
If you ground the switch it'll also set a code for the switch malfunctioning. Go to the parts store and build a T setup. The long end of the T should be in line with the threaded hole into the block. The stock sensor will stick out to the side of the T right above the starter..

The big "can" that autometer gives you will go on top. Oh, and don't forget to use teflon tape on all the threads.

All of the thread sizes are 1/4". You'll need one 1/4" brass T, one 1/4" male/male adapter, the 1/8" female to 1/4" male adapter that came with your oil pressure sender from Autometer and a roll of teflon tape.

jaketuff
12-24-2004, 12:53 PM

BS... My car passed with Emission Codes set

JOUT

jimraelee
12-24-2004, 01:19 PM

JOUT
out here in OR they will not pass cars with certain codes.... they plug in and if there are no issues you pass...no sniffing here for newer cars

lightningGA
12-24-2004, 03:54 PM

JOUT

was this since the new regulations where they have to transmit the info to DMV???

I'm hoping if I go to my "friend" to have the car inspected we can get around this if I haven't resolved the code issue. I was also wondering if I get a OBD2 scanner and erase the code out in the parking lot if it will show back up that quick??

Kyle
12-25-2004, 07:09 PM
I dissconected the wire for the oil pressure sensor because I put a gauge in. The SES light is not on though does that mean that theres no codes?

lightningGA
12-25-2004, 08:07 PM
it didn't make the SES light come on in my car....but the code was present

Kyle
12-26-2004, 07:06 AM
it didn't make the SES light come on in my car....but the code was present
Thats dumb anyone know if Nj is like this?