Low coolant light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low coolant light

Braves299
12-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Lately, my low coolant light will come on for about 10 seconds at a time. Usually when my car is cold, and i'm going up hill. I checked the coolant take, and the coolant is at the right level. What can be causing this? I hope this doesnt have to do with the LIM again. Also, for about a month now, I've been noticing that my gas mileage has been noticeably worse. I usually get around 280-300 miles per tank, but i have been only getting around 200. What is wrong with my car?

Ridenour
12-22-2004, 07:42 PM
Honestly for once, this sounds like it may NOT be a LIM problem! lol about 75% of the people on the site have the LIM problem, but I dunno about yours. It sounds like it could just be a faulty sensor. Just hope it's not a LIM problem. The worse mileage part I'm guessing isn't related to the coolant problem though. I'd say it's a combination of a few things:

1 - It's winter. You get worse mileage in the winter because your cars sucking in colder air = denser = uses more gas to keep the ratio right.

2 - It's winter. - You're driving through denser air so your engine has to work harder

3 - You might try checking your air filter. Change your PCV valve if you've never changed it - this is a big factor in mileage cause without it your wasting gas-filled fumes. It's only like 6 bucks at Autozone and easy as hell to change. Also maybe try changing your fuel filter, another 6 to 7 dollar part that could make a big difference. Check the exterior condition of your wires, if they're chewed up or marred, it might be time for a new set. Also if you're feeling adventerous, you could check your spark plugs. Weak spark = less burnt fuel.

It could be a combination of any of those things are all of them - check em out

SC/TGrandAm
12-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Mine has been doing that same damn thing- low coolant light when the car is cold and going uphill. errrr. The LIM gasket isnt leaking either and gas mileage is getting worse and worse all the time.

Anyhow its been too cold and ive been too lazy to look at it, if you find a fix for it let me know. :jackson

UNCTYPE-S
12-22-2004, 08:26 PM
my buddies 99Gt would always have his low coolant light flash when he is turning. ended up being the LIM. dont know if turning and going uphill can relate in this situation.

mwolverines
12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
also the coolant is freezing so it wont get an accurate reading until it starts movin, or even when goin up a hill it might fall off the sensor if ya know what i mean. i have the same prob.

SC/TGrandAm
12-22-2004, 08:36 PM
yeah but mine has been doing it for a while since it was a little warmer out (50's), and I park my car in a heated garage at night so my car isnt exactly "cold" in the mornings.

Also, this is the 2nd winter ive owned this car now, last winter was plenty cold and never had this problem so I doubt thats the cause of it...

juanvan
12-22-2004, 10:31 PM
umm I don't think the coolent is freezing, if it is u better get it switched out ~ unless u are in artic circle and its -32 every day then it might freeze ~ in witch case u have a heated block that plugs in every night, keeping it warm and frost free :)

Check the usual LIM problems ~ Mine would do that from time to time with the low coolent light, up hills, taking a corner at 100+
So I just had the LIM changed out the mechanic said it was starting to leak external but not enough that the lay operator would have notice to have the work done.
I would put 2oz in at a time just to get it to level then see how long it too to fall down to low status ~ usually about 2-3 months

Braves299
12-23-2004, 10:06 AM
cool thanks for the advice everyone

jimraelee
12-24-2004, 09:16 AM
also the coolant is freezing so it wont get an accurate reading until it starts movin, or even when goin up a hill it might fall off the sensor if ya know what i mean. i have the same prob.
ahhh hello, the coolant is freezing... they whats the purpose of coolant... ANTI FREEZE comes to mind... coolant is rated to like -30' unless your using the new dex orange coolant

Mixture (coolant/water) Freeze Point Boil Point
50/50 -34 deg F 265 deg F
60/40 -62 deg F 270 deg F
70/30 -84 deg F 276 deg F
so if the light is flashing its one of 3 things, either faulty sensor or there is infact coolant not hitting the sensor ( thats when I found out the eng was driniking it thru the LIM? or a intermeitent short in the wire. Its more likely the middle choice. Remember coolant is regulary increasing and decreasing in a coolant tank due to expansion of temperature change, hence the old sytle overflow bottles not used on our cars.

Ridenour
1 - It's winter. You get worse mileage in the winter because your cars sucking in colder air = denser = uses more gas to keep the ratio right.

gas mileage gest worse becuase of enser air... lets think about this... dense air is better.. ( similar to how NOS works adds more air molecules) so yes there is more gas needed to apply the same 14.7:1 ratio, but that means more horsepower is generated so you wouldnt put your foot so far into the pedal.. hence same accerleration with less pedal being applied.
2 - It's winter. - You're driving through denser air so your engine has to work harder
Denser air causes your engine to work harder???? what you talking about

balludc
12-24-2004, 11:01 AM
may not solve your problem... but it happens to me ever so often.

tap the top of the coolant tank a little (semi-hard)... mine ever so often held air pockets right next to the sensor making the sensor think the coolant was low, making the light come on.

probably not the problem in your case, but i'm sure someone will run into this thread and need that advice ;)

-dc

BTarb24
12-26-2004, 09:02 AM
The tap trick is normally for when your coolant is really low and you top it off and the low coolant light simply will not go away.

If your coolant level is up to spec and stays there then i would have to say faulty sensor. Also, is there any 'sludge' in your coolant tank? if there is, or ever was, then possibly some of that is caked around the sensor and giving faulty readings?-long shot

Braves299
12-26-2004, 09:18 AM
well i just got the chance to check it yesterday, and the coolant is in fact low. I'm going to add some today and see if it goes down anytime soon.. I'm scared

SC/TGrandAm
12-26-2004, 09:25 AM
well i just got the chance to check it yesterday, and the coolant is in fact low. I'm going to add some today and see if it goes down anytime soon.. I'm scared

are you sure Ralph didn't drink it?

I need to check mine and see if its in fact low as well. That would be a good project for today.

BTarb24
12-26-2004, 09:42 AM
did your cap come off in two pieces? My coolant used to drain itself all the time until i replaced my cap. Now she stays nice and steady :) caps are 3-5$ at any part store.

Braves299
12-26-2004, 10:10 PM
well kyle, i hope ralph didn't drink it lol. My cap seems to be fine right now Bill. I'll check again tomorrow though.