coil springs [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : coil springs

RAPTOR
12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
i have a 99 GT with 72000 miles on it,last night in the school parking lot i put my car in drive let off the brake and i heard this really loud crack.i felt the driver side of the car drop down,so i shut the car off and just left it there.today i get there with the tow truck and look under there,the coil spring is broke right off.that would have been fun at 70 mph on the highway.so the dealer said the bill is on me two new springs and front end alignment.i could not believe that this spring let go like that the dealer said they do 5 or 6 of these a year UNREAL.he said the cause is weather hot,cold,salt, and so on.i told him he was full of ****.it's bad medal.and GM should cover it.dealer compares it to a front tire blowing out :rolleyes: he said these things just happen. i said ok buddy you must be on crack or something.anyway total bill with tow 500.00 bucks.anyone else have this kind of luck

dongalonga
12-22-2004, 11:43 AM
you should have told them to shove it and gotten Eibachs and new struts for that kind of money.

NorKoastal
12-22-2004, 05:33 PM
Agreed... I got KYB struts/ Eibach springs/and alignment for under $500

BTarb24
12-22-2004, 11:41 PM
yea, at least if u buy a name like eibach you wont have to worry about them breaking in half anytime this century. especially going like 5 mph, thats just crazy. Kinda makes me wonder about replacing my springs now. :iconfused

ruckus63
12-22-2004, 11:51 PM
Even with labor mine was under $500, Eibach/KYB set and that was for all 4.

RAPTOR
12-23-2004, 04:42 PM
i did put on the kyb struts,but i could not wait for the springs,i'm leaving town on monday and needed my car.here is a pic

dongalonga
12-25-2004, 01:58 PM
that is pretty bad, and makes me feel good that i won't be using gm springs or struts anymore.

jon-w9
05-18-2005, 07:44 AM
Mine just did the same thing this morning, except I was on my way to school, so I turned around and drove a block home. Now I will need a new tire as well.

Is a new spring something I can do in my garage? I really don't want to put new springs and stuts on the whole thing, I don't know how much longer I am going to put up with this car...

EDIT: I ended up taking my car to a local shop. $522 including a tow to replace both sides. I checked around and that seemed the best price to get it done today. I wished I could have gotten all eibechs for less, but that wasn't available around here I guess.