new to the GTs, old to the grand ams... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : new to the GTs, old to the grand ams...

thecollegekid
12-25-2004, 11:18 PM
I'm new to this website because when I had my 95 I never really thought about modifying much in it. Next Mon. I take delivery of a brand new 2004 black GT1 with 41 miles on it. As the name says I'm a college student and yes I am paying for it. I'm a bar back in Richmond and go to VCU so if there are some Richmond people in here we've gotta meet up and talk shop. No real definate plans yet but I'm looking for some information about the mods that some people have attempted and what you all have really gotten out of them. Definately going to stay NA and I'm not looking to do anything serious. Headers, cat back, high flow cat, bigger throttle body, chip, and some A/F guages to start. I'd like to make it actually go fast before I start making it look fast. Any suggestions on places to go, people to talk to, and tech advice. I'd like to have a low 14s high 13s car. Just a little something to throw me back in the seat. Also, any advice for someone starting out in the modding world. I know it's an addiction and I don't do drugs or drink more than anyone else in college so I guess the closest thing I have is cars and women. Thanks for any forthcoming advice!

UNCTYPE-S
12-25-2004, 11:41 PM
welcome to the site. It will be hard to reach low 14's, high 13's n/a, but you can try. the mods you listed are a good start, but u will need more to throw you back in your seat. use the search button for everything u wanna know, cause i can almost garuntee its been asked before.

eric99gt
12-26-2004, 06:20 AM
i think it's possible as long as ya get a cam when they actually do come out. either way. Welcome.

xxbackhillxx
12-26-2004, 06:24 AM
welcome. i agree low 14's n/a will be tough, especially with our current aftermarket. if cams do come out, i dont see low 14's being hard to accomplish.

a/f gauge = teh pointless, its just a flashy light show.

thecollegekid
12-26-2004, 09:47 AM
No A/F guages. Gotcha! So how does the engine respond to FI? I mean I thought u would have to build the motor first before trying to slap on a supercharger. Figured it would significantly take away from the daily drivability of the car.

02andahalfgt
12-26-2004, 11:12 AM
The cat is pretty pointless too, stock flows well just put on an exhaust (coughSLPcough :D). Get an intake and then DHP instead of a chip.

Oh yeah, *welcome*

kse73
12-26-2004, 02:58 PM
The cat is pretty pointless too, stock flows well just put on an exhaust (coughSLPcough :D). Get an intake and then DHP instead of a chip.

Oh yeah, *welcome*

If hes goin to go the route of headers, a hi-flow cat will be better than stock.

And I know you said you didnt plan on doin anything too serious, but if you want to do something like headers, be prepared to shell out some dough. Aftermarket sucks...so prices are high. Just search around the forum and you'll find most of the info you'll need. Welcome to the forum!

GAGTbabe03
12-26-2004, 05:03 PM
:wave: *welcome* nice plans for the car