1st time for start up problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 1st time for start up problems

AaronGAGT
12-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Search button is being lame, so here's my story.

2 nights ago, I tried to start my car and it barely cranked over... but eventually went. However, total power was cut since my radio was reset.

Last night I drove my car fine without any problems.

About an hour ago, I went out to start it up - gave some half assed cranks and then just died.

Not the fuel pump bc its kickin on and its fairly new. Battery is still the same since i've bought it. Its been cold as hell here.

Got any tips? Cant I take my battery somewhere to do a test on it, I dont remember what its called though.

twisted
12-26-2004, 04:30 PM
you should be able to take it to any autozone or advanced auto parts they will do a batt test and also you altanator if that may be a issue

redfox
12-26-2004, 06:02 PM
i had the same problem. There seems to be a problem with gm batteries. I had a post leaking. Replaced the battery and as good as new.

andrewe77
12-26-2004, 06:20 PM
The batterys are junk. I'll bet you acid has leaked out near the positive terminal. If you're lucky, you won't have to replace the cable.

AndyVTek
12-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Its been cold as hell here.

That's your problem... A battery's effectiveness can be dependent on ambient temperature. Especially if it's older. Usually people with older batteries have a hard time after the first night or two below freezing temps.

You can get it tested. That's what I'd do.

AaronGAGT
12-27-2004, 07:13 PM
thanks folk. Yea, this battery is still the original so I imagine that old battery and cold are the factors here.

andrewe77
12-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Hurry up and replace it before you're stranded. Mine died without any warning so consider this your warning.