My first car: 95 Grand Am GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : My first car: 95 Grand Am GT

blackviper8891
12-26-2004, 09:11 PM
I am 16 and for Christmas, my parents are getting me a car. It is a 1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe. It's green, 5spd, quad-4 engine, and in good condition inside and out. However, there was a ticking noise coming from the engine which a mechanic said the valves needed re-adjusted. It was only $1000. I don't have it yet because the seller is taking his time, but when I do, I will be sure to post pics. Do you guys have any tips I should know about this car? Thanks.
:cheers:

UNCTYPE-S
12-26-2004, 09:21 PM
brake is on the left, gas on the right.

j/k...umm hopefully that ticking isnt a knock in the engine. welcome.

SC/TGrandAm
12-26-2004, 10:03 PM
I am 16 and for Christmas, my parents are getting me a car....

That was enough... im sorry. If you drive like the other 16 year olds out there be sure to let the residents of Brookville, PA know before you head out for the day.

Matt95GT
12-27-2004, 07:11 AM
My bet is the noise is from timing chain slack... I really doubt it's the valves or lifters. We've torn down a 95 2.3 with ~150K miles and it showed no wear on the valvetrain.

*welcome*

There's a few pre-99 owners around here... but very few. Enjoy, and be careful... I know that my 95 is the kinda car that I prolly would have gotten into trouble with when I was 16.

95-GT
12-27-2004, 11:24 AM
My 95 is the car I got into a lot of trouble with, but not speeding, just tints. Welcome to the site.

blackviper8891
12-27-2004, 01:35 PM
No need to welcome me... I've been a member for a year now, I just barely post and had PC troubles through most of the summer.

blackviper8891
12-31-2004, 09:04 AM
I just picked it up today. I will try to get pictures sometime today. I found out a little more about it on the way home. The ticking noise is indeed the timing chain slack as Matt said. Also the check oil light was on too... that was somewhat unexpected but the oil was just low. The driver side window doesn't roll up with out help. The interior smells... I guess the owner was a smoker.. yuck. The rear reverse lights are green which is illegal. The rear passenger windows are tinted, but the tint is peeling around the edges. The owner said one tire had a slow leak too. Even with those problems it was still a good buy for only $1000. As I said, I will try to get pics sometime today.

Matt95GT
12-31-2004, 09:16 AM
Still sounds like an awesome buy for $1000

The "check oil" light has a low oil sensor switch at the bottom of the oil pan. Apparently they don't last... both of my cars have the light on most of the time, yet oil is not low.

I take it you have power windows... that's a common failure. Kinda glad I have manual windows on the coupe for that reason. If you have a local "u-pull-it" junkyard it would be a cheap fix.

Rich
12-31-2004, 10:05 AM
for the smell, id say pick up some ozium. its like that neutra air stuff buts its been around longer. that would probably be a cheap way to help until you shampoo all the seats and whatnot. and enjoy your first car :thumbs:

Matt95GT
12-31-2004, 11:45 AM
Ozium rules... there's a can at all times in my bathroom... really covers up the post-duece smell. lol Not sure how it'll work in fabric tho. Could try febreeze... I usually have good luck with that. I used this "stanley steemer odor remover" once when I had to de-skunk-scent my car once.

onesexyga
12-31-2004, 02:42 PM
I think it need an fx design body kit. Mine perhaps.

blackviper8891
12-31-2004, 04:48 PM
The car has manual windows.. not power. I am not sure why it doesn't roll up, but I have yet to pull anything apart to fix it. Any suggestions?

For the smell.. my mom picked up some "Tuff Stuff" fabric cleaner, some Fabreze, and some new car smell scent.

Since my previous post, I have found a few more problems. The first being that rear driver side speaker doesn't work. I popped the trunk and looked at it and it looks to just be a disconnected wire. Also, the rear seatback is.. well basically just sitting there. The previous owner probably took it off for a speaker system and never really put it securely in place. Speaking of systems... the trunk is already wired up for one so if I ever wanted to get one (which I do) I just have to plug it in and attach wires. Those are the only additional problems I have found so far... and I hope those are the last.

I probably won't have any pics until it stops raining and warms up a bit, so I can wash it. Also, while I'm here... Do you guys have any ideas on what I could mod on this car that is relatively cheap? I have about $250 that I have saved, that will either go towards a huge system or some sort of a mod.

GrahamKracka
12-31-2004, 05:07 PM
ok heres my suggestion......use the money to fix the problems with the car....i wouldnt waste it on modding a 95 ..its your first car so of course you want to pimp it out....but id suggest saving your money for a new car down the road

onesexyga
12-31-2004, 08:11 PM
GrahamKracka has apparantly found his calling in advising every 92-95 GA owner not to mod their car. You dont own a supercar. The 99+ body style is no 911. How about leaving these people alone? I have a 2000 now. I like it. Ive modded it. I also had a 93 for a couple of years. I modded that too. I didnt do to well sellling it. So what? I had fun. I learned a lot. I applied it to the mods on my new car.

For you, id get the car settled right now. Fix all the bugs. Keep in mind some problems are really opportunities. If a speaker blows its the perfect time to put aftermarkets in, etc. Anyone can vouch for the fact that used stock pieces are useless. They just get thrown out or saved for when you sell it.

balludc
01-01-2005, 12:17 AM
The "check oil" light has a low oil sensor switch at the bottom of the oil pan. Apparently they don't last... both of my cars have the light on most of the time, yet oil is not low.
mine does that too... replaced that damn sensor a few times and it still goes bad. so i just deal with that light. :rolleyes: i may put electrical tape over it soon :jackson

welcome to the site blackviper... always glad to see more pre99 owners

-dc

GrahamKracka
01-01-2005, 12:23 AM
GrahamKracka has apparantly found his calling in advising every 92-95 GA owner not to mod their car. You dont own a supercar. The 99+ body style is no 911. How about leaving these people alone? I have a 2000 now. I like it. Ive modded it. I also had a 93 for a couple of years. I modded that too. I didnt do to well sellling it. So what? I had fun. I learned a lot. I applied it to the mods on my new car.

For you, id get the car settled right now. Fix all the bugs. Keep in mind some problems are really opportunities. If a speaker blows its the perfect time to put aftermarkets in, etc. Anyone can vouch for the fact that used stock pieces are useless. They just get thrown out or saved for when you sell it.

When did i ever say my car was the Fo shizle?......NEVER...my car is bone stock...and performance wise its gonna stay that way...its not worth it.....now in the near future a new sound setup is on the way....but nothing else

ram444
01-01-2005, 03:23 AM
i just want to know why is it not worth it to mod youre car?? Especialy if it is a hobby or you just want people to notice it. cant hurt to mod right.

jake3217
01-01-2005, 11:39 AM
I think what most anti-modding people are hinting at is the relative lack of mods for our car - meaning that if you want to get in the 13's, you're going to be spending quite a bit of money. You'd be spending more money to get a GA into 13's, than say, a Honda Civic...and most other cars for that matter. Thus, some people will tell you it's not worth it to mod your GA...but hell, it's your car, do whatever you want.

GregFarz78
01-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Relax he was trying to give the kid some good advice its pointless to mod a car that only cost $1000 for a daily driver...fix the problems, save your money, and run it till it dies. You'll be happy you saved that money so you can get a nice new car some day.

onesexyga
01-01-2005, 02:12 PM
And what im saying is that i did mod a $500 Grand Am. It **** out on me. It had 180k on it. Im still glad i did what i did. It was a good learning experience. I turned a few heads with it. Not because it was some amazing car. Just because it was different. Personally i think making a car fast is just a reflection of how much cash you have. Doing custom appearance mods is a skill that gets attention and is a lot of fun.

Matt95GT
01-01-2005, 03:57 PM
:rolleyes: It's up to him to decide if he wants to mod it. And honestly, did anyone save any substantial money between the ages of 16-18? Neither did I... money is HS is essentially disposable. What he learns has much more value. I wasted mass amounts of money on computer crap at that age... the money is gone but I learned alot and turned it into a career. Just a thought.

Mods... performance... start with exhaust, then intake. 2.25" pipes are recommended size on that engine. Borla mufflers sound awesome, Dynomax is much more affordable. A shop will have to fab it up, there is no "kit". You could always just replace the mufflers if you just want more sound but wanna keep stock pipes to save money... in that case use 2" mufflers.

Intake... also DIY. If you have some time and a dremel it's a cheap mod... under $100
Here's how I did mine...
http://www.fazeshift.org/pics/thumbnails.php?album=64

I'm not much of an appearance guy... but lowering springs do wonders. Intrax = 2" drop.

onesexyga
01-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Exactly.

blackviper8891
01-01-2005, 11:34 PM
No pics yet. I spent most of the day cleaning it that by the time I was done it was too dark to take any pics. If it isn't raining or anything tomorrow, I will surely have pics of it.

I have thought about mods and how much money I plan to invest into this car. My dad will be fixing (trying to) the ticking in the engine, so I got out of spending money there. As for performance... well I don't think I will be doing any performance mods to it. I am only 16 and I don't think making my car faster will help me stay out of any trouble. One mod that I am not completely sure about is aftermarket wheels. The current wheels look good, design wise, but are not in good condition. There is a bit of corrosion here and there and there are some massive stains from the front disc brakes that I tried to scrub off, but wasn't successful. The mod that I am 100% sure I'm going to do is to add some huge sub-woofers and speakers. The car is already wired up for it, so why not take advantage of the oppertunity. I don't think I will be doing any visual mods though. I like how it looks now and there aren't many mods available anyways.

Sadly, I have found a few more problems. First is that the trunk leaks. After I washed it, I popped the trunk to pet a few things into it that was previously just lying on the back seat. When I did.... I found a puddle about a few inches from the center. It looked to be just the rubber seal. Also, The right rear tire has small bulge with a 3/4 inch diameter and a small hole in the center of it. I hope the tire lasts for a few more months. Tomorrow I will check to see if there is a spare and if everything is still there... ya know.. just in case.

Despite having a few problems, it was a good buy and I am very happy with it. Everyone who has seen it said that the interior looks like it's new... it just doesn't smell new. The exterior is also in great condition. There are a few chips on the front, a few scratches and dings here and there, a chip in the windshield, and a tiny crack on the passenger side door cladding. Oh... before I forget.. how do I remove a tint? The tints on the rear passenger windows are peeling around the edges. They look thick and like I could just peel them off with no trouble but I'm not too familiar with tints.

GregFarz78
01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
I take it the wheels are aluminum alloys? If so you can save yourself tons of money and get some rim paint at autozone. Clean the wheels up real good, primer, and spray a fresh coat of paint on them. As for the tint good luck with that tint is a biotch to remove get out a razor and start scraping, get some goo gone to remove whatever sticky mess is left

98GrandAmSE
01-02-2005, 10:24 PM
I would be really careful with that tire if it has a bulge. It could end up blowing up on you on the highway. If the tires are old and one leaks you really should replace them.

Ronin
01-03-2005, 02:10 AM
I wasted mass amounts of money on computer crap at that age... the money is gone but I learned alot and turned it into a career.

i wasted most money for speed tickets and for wrong parking when i got my license... the money is gone but I learned alot and turned it into a career. lol

j/k - the first thing i built in my car was allways a good stereo. buy a good and cheap 3ch amp like axton or sth. like that, a nice subwoofer tube or box and good front door speakers.

have fun with the car!

on new year a fireworks rocket fell onto the roof of my baby and made a dent just above the rear window. i popped off the carpet of the inner roof and saw that i cant reach the dent to bulge it - i think i will have it taken to a professional garage. :nono:

for the log: ronin started hating new years eve in early 2005

White00GAGT
01-03-2005, 02:57 AM
I agree with 98GrandAmSE, tires should be checked/replaced. The first two cars i bought had bad tires, but nothing we could actually see, brought them into the mechanic and he informed us that on my first car the metal was showing thru. The second he asked how i got it there. On another note just do what u want with your car, my first car was a 92 Mercury Sable....grandma car but that didn't stop me from putting a system in and lights, just do what u want, have fun.