Disturbing Discovery During LIM Gasket Replacement - Gunk! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Disturbing Discovery During LIM Gasket Replacement - Gunk!

Draug
12-27-2004, 06:12 AM
Greetings,

I finally got the Lower Intake off tonight. The Gasket was seeping externally out both sides for a while; never enough to leave liquid, just a thin layer of goo. The gasket ruptered on the passenger side while I was driving home, so after it ruptured, I drove for about 10 minutes. The car never overheated, according to the temp guage.

If you look closely at both of these attachements, you will see what I am alarmed about. In the front passenger coolant passage, a goup has almost entirely filled it. It is orange, as it absorbed coolant. This goo isnt gritty, and mushes into a spread like substance when mashed between my fingers. It has no distinct odor that I can detect. No other passeways contained any of this muck.

In the first attachment, which is of the head, you can see where the rubber seal of the gasket ruptured. It looks like all coolant spewed externally. You can also see the passageway is clogged with this gunk.

In the second attachment, showing the Lower Intake, you can see that this side of the passageway is clogged also.

Any idea what this stuff is?
Does it signify other problems that I should just fix now?
Or, will a coolant flush (was hoping just to do a complete change - but now will have to get it flushed) get rid of what I cant clean out by hand?
Will it accumulate again?

Any help, and/or advice is appreciatted.
Thanks.

Malaclypse
12-27-2004, 09:19 AM
That's what happens when a small air bubble gets into a cooling system filled with dexcool. That's perfectly normal. Just scrape it out with a small screwdriver and clean up the gasket surfaces really well. You'll be fine.

However it might be time for you to change out your dex-cool for fresh coolant.

Draug
12-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Ewww. That is also disturbing that it is perfectly normal.

Does this happen with other coolants? Maybe I should switch to Long Life Prestone?

I have completely drained the coolant prior to starting the LIM project, and was planning on putting in new Dex Cool.

AaronGAGT
12-27-2004, 07:09 PM
Yea, pretty awful that thats normal isnt it? Now I dont know if that much is normal, but I do know that it does build up like that.

There are people from this board that have switched to the green stuff and havent had problems... hopefully one of them will chime in here.

Mike Jung
12-27-2004, 09:42 PM
...Does this happen with other coolants? Maybe I should switch to Long Life Prestone?

I have completely drained the coolant prior to starting the LIM project, and was planning on putting in new Dex Cool.
IMO, I would use a Zerex 'G-05' LongLife engine coolant.
After doing a flush of the engine coolant system.

cals400ex
12-29-2004, 07:50 AM
yeah, my car is leaking there too. there isn't enough coming out for it to be wet, but you can see something is slowly coming out over time. how important is this to get fixed really soon?