Door Wire for Alarm [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Door Wire for Alarm

nellering
12-28-2004, 05:49 PM
I have a 97 grand am SE and am installing a car alarm. One of the things I have left to get working is connecting the wire that says when a door is open. Where can i find this wire in my car? I would like it to know if any of the doors are open.

Thanks!

e2helper
12-28-2004, 06:25 PM
There are 2 approaches that could be taken:

#1 is the direct approach however Driver door wire is separate from others because of unique functions associated with driver door (key left in chime for one).

Both of these wires go to the Multifunction Alarm Module in instrument panel:

Driver Door circuit is LT GRN/BLK (cavity H of edgeboard connector)
"Other" Door circuit is LT BLU (cavity G of edgeboard connector)

Both are switches to ground.

#2 is Indirect approach. Most folks ignore those switches and use the Interior light control circuit which is switched to ground when courtesy lights are turned on (this always occurs when a door is open but happens at other times as well). It is a White wire which starts from same module (cavity G of plug-in connector) or found at pretty much any interior lamp (footwell courtesy lamps, reading/courtesy lamps or dome lamp).

If you use this circuit you might want to be careful about a potential false trigger of alarm that can occur if you leave a map light on and the vehicle turns off power to interior lights 20 minutes after ignition turned off by the "battery saver" feature. Most folks that install alarms probably don't worry about this condition but thought I would mention it.

Either of these cases can be handled by doing something called "diode isolation" but I am probably getting too detailed. :)

nellering
01-10-2005, 09:01 PM
There are 2 approaches that could be taken:

Both of these wires go to the Multifunction Alarm Module in instrument panel:

"Other" Door circuit is LT BLU (cavity G of edgeboard connector)

Where can I find this connector/multifunction alarm module?