Can the plastic ends on the radiator be changed? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Can the plastic ends on the radiator be changed?

Draug
12-29-2004, 03:10 AM
Hello,

Well, I just finished replacing my LIM gasket. It is the biggest job I have ever attempted, and I was really getting excited to start it up. I was just going to add back all the fluids, complete the oil change, and start it up... Then....

I went to do up the drain plug on the radiator, and the housing it screws into is cracked. It must have cracked while I undid it to drain the coolant before the LIM repair.

Is it possible to replace that plastic end? If I cant, I guess it is new radiator time.

Anything special I need to know in order to remove it?

Thanks,
Draug

Malaclypse
12-29-2004, 03:28 AM
I haven't personally changed the end-tanks on a radiator.. but I know that many aftermarket shops do it. You have to remove the radiator from the car to have that done.

As far as I'm concerned, its less reliable than buying a new radiator. Why don't you try putting in the drain plug and filling the system with water to see if it leaks before considering a costly repair.

If you find no leaks, pull off your lower radiator hose and reconnect it after draining most of the water. Then fill your cooling system with the proper water/dex-cool mix.

Draug
12-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Sorry, I should have specified that it does leak. :(

I will check out the price of a new rad around town, and compare that to replacing the end.

I am so bummed out now, after the let down of not getting the car going when I expect to....

2kramairGT
12-29-2004, 11:13 AM
I have the same problem. Got the LIM done last night, go to fill the coolant and the damn drain plug leaks. I think i over tightened it and bent the metal pin that is on the plug. You will see what I mean if you pull the plug all the way out. Mine drips slowly, but if you open the cap on the coolant tank it speeds up the drip. I am buying a new plug from NAPA, ill tell you how it works out tonight. the housing on mine looks cracked, but i think that is what it looks like new. It has a grove through the outside of the place where you insert the plug. If you get yours to stop let me know how you did. Ill post up tonight.

Weird that we both finished the LIM and both broke our stupid plug things. I have opened mine and closed it about 10 times before with no probs. There is an o-ring on the end of the plug, check yours to see if its ok.

Also it is $5.49 at napa.

NorKoastal
12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Mine is spring loaded (I think) After chewing throught the plastic tip (Why Plastic GM ???? This is important stuff that radiator holds) I took some vice grips.. Turned the plastic piece left 45-90 and let it drain. Let it loose and it fit back into its slot (Cracked plastic around this opening, I know I didnt break it)

Draug
12-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Mine is spring loaded (I think) After chewing throught the plastic tip (Why Plastic GM ???? This is important stuff that radiator holds) I took some vice grips.. Turned the plastic piece left 45-90 and let it drain. Let it loose and it fit back into its slot (Cracked plastic around this opening, I know I didnt break it)

Your post prompted me to go look at it again, more closely. I took the bottom rad support off and could get right in there to see it. It appears the crack is machine made, and goes back about 1/2 an inch. Since you thought it might be spring loaded, I pushed on the plug as I turned it clockwise, and it pushed a little notch into the opening of the crack.

It doesnt leak when it is cool, I will know shortly if it leaks under pressure.

Sure seems like a crappy valve to me... I wish they would have used a normal brass (I think) radiator drain valve.

EDIT: The rad holds coolant just fine under pressure. Sorry for the false alarm. The way that 'crack' is crooked, I would have sworn it was made by mistake. Thanks for the earlier post NorKoastal, you saved me a lot of radiator changing troubles. :boogie:

NorKoastal
12-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Earth to GM.. Why plastic on a radiator plug.... Idiots on that design.. I chewed up that plug so bad I had to use the vicegrips...

young gun
10-28-2016, 04:54 PM
How about this crack? I hadn't gotten any leaks from here but I was just changing out my coolant.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/ssj18goku/GAGT/1028161841_HDR_zpsslrjxu40.jpg (http://s160.photobucket.com/user/ssj18goku/media/GAGT/1028161841_HDR_zpsslrjxu40.jpg.html)

EDIT: Found out it is the way it is designed for the drain plug. All is well.

AaronGTR
11-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Why plastic for a drain plug? Because...

1) It's cheaper and easier to make than metal.
2) The end tank is plastic, so putting two similar materials together is less likely to lead to corrosion.
3) It doesn't need to be opened often, and it doesn't take that much force if you do it correctly.

young gun
11-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Why plastic for a drain plug? Because...

1) It's cheaper and easier to make than metal.
2) The end tank is plastic, so putting two similar materials together is less likely to lead to corrosion.
3) It doesn't need to be opened often, and it doesn't take that much force if you do it correctly.

Oh hai Aaron!