Warning: Rain X Bug Remover [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Rain X Bug Remover

VaGT
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
If you have this Rain X Bug Remover windshield washer fluid in your car, and live anywhere temps drop below freezing, get it out ASAP.

I bought this over the summer, and the stuff is now a solid block of ice in my reservoir. I checked their website (for contact info to complain) and noticed that it is only rated to 30F. I have never seen washer fluid with such pathetic cold weather performance... not even the cheap $0.99 junk.

I thought that was the purpose of buying washer fluid as opposed to using say Dawn mixed with water - so it wouldn't freeze.

I would hope this 30F number is somewhere on the label, but I'm also sure they don't print it very big. IMO, there should be a very large warning about winter usage. I generally read labels, and I don't remember it being on there.

Mike Jung
12-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Yup, there is summer & winter windsheild fluid.

The 'bug remover' part should of given you a hint it was summer rated only.
But I don't know how they label the bottles where you are.

Summer windshield fluid does definately work better in the summer.
It does not evapourate as fast as the winter versions (that have more alcohol in it).

But come September, I start mixing/putting in -40C/F windshield fluid.
& in the deep freeze of winter, use winter windsheild fluid that has 'de-icer' in it.

I just picked up 2-cases (4- 4L bottles per case) of Rain-X Plus De-Icer premuim windsheild fluid (rated to -40C/F) on Boxing Day special from Canadian Tire at $1.99Cdn/bottle (Regularly at $3.99Cdn/bottle) :)

I also know of someone who had frozen their summer windsheild fluid last year, during the first cold snap.
& he will never forget it.
Hell last year, even some cheap supposely rated -40C/F windsheild fluid semi-frozen/gelled in his car.
Now in the winter he also runs winter windsheild fluid with de-icer in it.
I also bought him a case of the Rain-X Plus De-Icer windsheild fluid.

I normally use (it is cheaper that the Rain-X windsheild fluid) the (from Canadian Tire) Motormaster (purple) Washer Fluid with Telfon (that has some de-icer in it) that is rated to -45C / -49F.
I remember it originally (without the Teflon) use to be rated to -50C / -58F & label said it had IPA as de-icer in it for extreme cold usage, but it was also a $1Cdn more per bottle than now.

Molson
12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I have the Motomaster teflon purple in now. But generally get the cheap -40 blue stuff.

H.O. Driver
12-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I have the Rain-X Bug Remover and through the 4-5days it reached a high of 0*F it didn't freeze, so maybe the changed it or something :confused:

ViperGTSR
12-29-2004, 10:01 PM
haha boxing day

Mike Jung
11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Bump...

Don't let this happen to you, if you are using summer version of windshield fluid / bug wash.

It is time to start putting in some winter temp rated windshield fluid.
Now that the East Coast & Mid-West are starting to get colder (like around the freezing point of 0C/32F).

But I would save the de-icer winter windshield fluid until it gets colder.

Just bought a case (4x 3.78L/1 US Gallon bottles) of -35C/-31F windsheild fluid today for $5.
& going to get a couple of cases (4x 3.78L/1 US Gallon bottles) of some de-icer windsheild fluid tomorrow for $10.
It is on sale :D

& why the hell do they sell 1 US Gallon (3.78L) bottles of windshield fluid in Canada !
4L > than 1 US Gallon (3.78L) :bleep: