Blinker noise always on (without blinker being on) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Blinker noise always on (without blinker being on)

H-508
12-30-2004, 09:17 AM
Anyone had this problem? Both midas and the local dealership couldn't figure it out...

When the blinker is turned off, the "blinker sound" is still there. What is happening is there is power still being sent to the blinker relay. All my blinker lights work fine, it's just the noise that randomly sounds when the blinker isn't going (and the blinkers lights on the dash and outside aren't flashing).

They replaced the relay and it still is doing it. Nothing in my car has changed (ie alarm and stereo have been in the car for years) when this started to occur a few days ago.

Any ideas?

pontga00
12-30-2004, 09:21 AM
This might have something to do with it.

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31519

Kdawg207
12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
^ yup...took the words from my mouth

H-508
12-30-2004, 09:23 AM
awesome, thanks - kinda ****ed that the dealership gave me a line of **** about it then if this is a recall...

manic mechanic
12-31-2004, 06:32 AM
I'll bet it's not the hazard switch. Here's a write up I posted that I used to fix my problem.

First of all you'll have to remove the signal / multi switch and set it on a bench.

1.- In order to remove the switch a Torx T20 screwdriver will be required to remove the 3 screws from the bottom of the steering column.

2.- The cover can now come off - it unsnaps from the lower half.

3.- Leave the lower cover in place.

4. - You'll now be able to see that large horseshoe shaped multifunction switch.

5.- Unplug the three electrical connectors very carefully and remove the torx screw on top of the multifunction switch (T20 ??).

6.- The entire switch can now be removed as a unit and placed on the bench.

7.- Flip the switch over and remove the small screws holding the rear cover onto the main body of the multifunction switch.

8.- Try to keep the rear cover on as best you can as you don't want the signal switch spring loaded mechanisms to go shooting all over the place.

9.- The middle switch contains the signal contacts.

10.- Gently pry the rear cover up (but not too much) and see if you can see the contacts of the signal switch. They'll probably be covered with black grease.

11.- A "Q-Tip" and some electrical contact cleaner should be able to remove the grease and dirt.

12.- Using another "Q-Tip" apply a fresh dab of dielectric grease to the contacts to keep them smooth and free.

13.- Install the multifunction switch rear cover and reinstall the switch into the car.

14.- One important point - WHEN POSITIONING THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH BACK ON TO THE STEERING COLUMN, BE SURE TO DEPRESS THE SPRING LOADED HORN PIN.

15.- Your crazy, clicking, blinker days are over.

AznGA
12-31-2004, 06:52 AM
I am not gonna mess with this. Although my 02 is outta warranty, I am gonna try to have dealer fix it for free.

darhl
12-31-2004, 04:36 PM
I took my vehicle under warranty for the exact same clicking of the relay. It turned out there was a short created in the multifunction switch; just a few months short of the end of my warranty.

rabbitt1100
12-31-2004, 06:08 PM
Well I'm glad I ran accross this post because now I know how to fix my friends car... Its an 2002, is there a recall for that year? Or should I plan on taking apart the multifunction switch?

mightypan42
01-01-2005, 08:31 AM
Anything for the 99 yet?

darhl
01-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Well I'm glad I ran accross this post because now I know how to fix my friends car... Its an 2002, is there a recall for that year? Or should I plan on taking apart the multifunction switch?

GM never released a recall for this particular problem.

AznGA
01-01-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31519&highlight=hazard+recall

I think this is it.

darhl
01-01-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31519&highlight=hazard+recall

I think this is it.

Nope, that is with the hazard light switch causing the turn signals and hazard lights to become inoperative. I had that problem on my previous Grand Am. You could probably take it in and see if they will change the hazard light switch, but if the multifunction switch is shorting and causing the relay clicking without having any effect on the turn signals at all...

dennistowell
02-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Ok so i did exactly what the post says to do as far as cleaning the contacts and all. It fixed the problem of the turn signal sound but now my horn doesnt work anymore. It works when i look the doors and when i use that panic button on the keyless entry but the horn buttons inside the streering wheel dont work anymore. Any Ideas??

Infernall
02-08-2005, 09:52 PM
14.- One important point - WHEN POSITIONING THE MULTIFUNCTION SWITCH BACK ON TO THE STEERING COLUMN, BE SURE TO DEPRESS THE SPRING LOADED HORN PIN.

No horn is you missed this.

I am also experiencing this problem. I will give it a try.

dennistowell
02-08-2005, 09:58 PM
no i checked the horn pin and the round metal disk that it rides and everything looks ok. the horn worked fine for like 3-4 days and now nothing.

Undersexed
09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
hate to revive an old thread and all, but my niece's turn signals just quit on her the other day, she's a broke college student and drives her car about 40 miles one way 4 times a week to school so I need this fixed for her as soon as i can figure it out, but it's a 1993 SE sedan and everything else works (i.e. hazards and brake lights) but absolutely no turn signals... she said that sometimes they'd flash a little faster than normal, but never went completely out until now and all @ once... checked fuses and even the relay under the dash (my back still hurts) but I wanted to know if anyone has had any turn signal switch probs with this car also? also wipers are working fine too, just the turn signals... any help would be greatly appreciated

Undersexed
11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Just an update for those who could possibly have the same problem, after ordering and installing a new turn signal/headlight switch and pulling the steering wheel and all, it turned out to be a second flasher relay thingy - the one for the hazards is under the dash on the left side of the steering column (a small silver cylinder, but there's a second one that controls the turn signals and if you take off the radio trim panel (upper glove box and snap on gauge hood have to come off first) but you will see the same metal cylinder about the same height as the wiper stalk just to the left side of the radio... this was a 92-95 model, by the way... hope this might help someone, somewhere down the line