Specific question about proceeding with a GT Conversion [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Specific question about proceeding with a GT Conversion

bttws
01-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Hi, I just took the last 3 hours to look pretty thoroughly around for information about this and didn't come across it.

Just yesterday I bought my first Grand Am (yay) but sadly it was not a GT. It is a 2004 (good deal, and I needed a car pretty quick). I notice there are a lot of body kits available online. I want to do a simple factory looking GT conversion. Honestly, I prefer it to all the fancy stuff I saw.

I visited every sponsor to the site, went to ebay, etc. Ebay had some individual parts for sale but I was wanting to sniff out a good full body kit deal. So,...where do you guys go for your GT conversion needs? The local body shops? I would imagine even with shipping it may be cheaper to do it online. Could be wrong. I do want one snazzy looking hood I saw on PFYC. But aside from that I need more than just the parts, I need fittings for adjustments right?

Any leads or suggestions where/how to look are greatly appreciated.

BTW, I did see the whole Appearance modding sub forum, but since I am a newbie at your site, I thought maybe it was best to ask in here :)

Thanks you guys!

OneFastGT
01-01-2005, 09:16 AM
Welcome! You came to the right place. We have some good people around here that will help you with every need. But as everyone will tell you, use the search before posting any questions. Chances are you'll find what you need. With that said, I agree with you...the factory GT body kit is sporty enough for me. Usually you can find most of the parts you need for the conversion right here in the classifieds section. And it'll be a better deal than ebay. And those H/D and SC/T hoods on pfyc are very popular. I want one myself. If you ever see a GAGT around town with one of those hoods, chances are that it was not aftermarket. Pontiac made a few GT1's with the SC/T option that included a more stylish rear wing and that cool hood. PFYC once offered a full SC/T bodykit that included the hood, chin spoiler, rocker panels, and wing. But it is no longer in production and probably will never be offered again. Do a search in the classifieds for "SC/T" and you'll see how many new posts asking if anyone knows where to get one. It's pretty funny. Cause it ain't happenin! Welp, if you have anymore questions....we'll be here.

badboy2451
01-01-2005, 10:32 AM
:stupid: hit the nail on the head with all that

xxbackhillxx
01-01-2005, 11:57 AM
PFYC once offered a full SC/T bodykit that included the hood, chin spoiler, rocker panels, and wing.
wing and hood were both sold as seperate items. the sc/t kit was sold as another seperate item as an entire trim kit for GT's only. this included the chin spoiler, rocker panels, and rear valence. just before they stopped selling the kit, pfyc also offered each part of the kit seperately as well.

as far as a gt conversion goes, there is no real kit you can buy. you will have to buy it in pieces unless you can find a gt owner on this site who is selling his entire kit in the classifieds. ebay would be your other bet. bumper covers run about $150 each last i checked. dont know the prices on the rocker panels.

bttws
01-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks

Actually, I did use the search for several terms. That's how I was able to sound like I had a clue about conversion at all. I learned that term from you guys! :) I did learn a lot about doing it. I had no clue converting an SE to a GT was so popular...didn't even know what it was called, so this site was a godsend.

I did look on ebay and found several people selling parts. I am still a newbie to the whole mod thing so I didn't know if I could replace parts with parts. In other words, I didn't know if any part from 99-05 would fit any grand am.

I also actually like the body prior to 02. They went slimmer, I liked the bulkier look. It's just me. I am probably not going to get everything I want but I will probably be a regular in the classifieds for awhile!

Thanks all.

02andahalfgt
01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
I also actually like the body prior to 02. They went slimmer, I liked the bulkier look. It's just me. I am probably not going to get everything I want but I will probably be a regular in the classifieds for awhile!

All '99+ GTs are exactly the same with the exception of the mirrors that were changed halfway through the '02 model year. GT bumper covers and rockers will all bolt right up.

AznGA
01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Welcome. If I were you, I would just get the factory SC/T hood and spoiler that's optional for GT, because those will fit right up to your SE. I dunno how much you want to go into performance, but you can spend money on performance mods and beat some stock GT's out there. I really do like how newer SE's look.