Power steering R&R? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Power steering R&R?

1/2dolla
01-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Has anyody done this? I was checking prices and a new pump unit minus the pully is way expensive at the dealer, about $400

I guess these units that have the variable assit unit (EVO) attached with the pump is why.

Non EVO pump are about $120

Just wondering how hard it is to do.

thanks

manic mechanic
01-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I did our 01's power steering pump this past fall.

I picked up a remanufactured AC Delco part from the dealer for about half the price of new.

You see, the thing is, and I believe an EVO pump is mechanically the same as a non-EVO pump other than the electronic valve attached to the outlet side of the pump. You'll have to change that electronic valve out anyway and install it on the new pump when you make the switch.

I was a little perplexed myself until I took a good look at the EVO and non-EVO pumps. To me, they were identical.

1. - In order to do the jump you’ll have to remove or slacken the belt and remove the pump as a unit.
2. - The pulley will then have to be removed using a special tool easily rented at the parts counter.
3. - Next comes the removal and installation of the electronic valve on the outlet side of the pump. If I remember correctly you’ll need a screwdriver to remove a small “E” clip and a large deep socket for this - maybe 1” or more??
4. – Once the unit is assembled on the bench, take it to the car and connect the high pressure (outlet) hose to the pump and use the little rubber nipple (supplied on the new pump’s reservoir) to block the return side of the reservoir.
5. - Reconnect the fan (serpentine) belt.
6. - Using a piece of rigid tubing (about 2”) as a coupling, connect the car’s rubber return line to a flexible hose (about 2 feet long) the same size and shape as the factory hose and place the open end into a bucket.
7. - Fill the reservoir and leave the cap off.
8. - Have a buddy start the car while you pour more new fluid into the reservoir as the engine pumps out the old fluid. Have lots of fluid on hand so as not to stop half way through the flushing operation.
9. - It took just about 2 quarts for me to completely flush out the old stuff before the fluid was running clean.
10. - Reconnect the original hose to the reservoir and make sure the fluid is at its proper level.

1/2dolla
01-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Hey, thanks, doesnt sound all that hard so I may give it a try. Hardest part sounds like getting a puller for that pully. and pressing it on the new unit..
Theres nothing wrong with my EVO connector so I can reuse that and put it on a non-EVO unit it sounds like. Is that what you did for sure? I'm in if thats the case.

manic mechanic
01-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Once you see the pulley remover kit it should be pretty straight forward. Most kits come with instructions on how to use the puller.

It's basically a clam shell style of ring that grabs hold of the hub in the center of the pulley while a bolt is threaded into the center of the clamshell and pushes the entire pulley off of the shaft. You'll see what I mean when you get it.

However, if all else fails take the original power steering pump to a shop and they will remove the pulley and install it on the new pump in less than 5 minutes. (They will even change out your EVO switch if you ask. It may be worth it if you’re not sure.)

What ever you do, do not force or hammer the pulley in any way!!!

Also, be gentle when removing that EVO unit as the nut is very thin and you are using a deep socket.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout.