Snap, crackle pop - Kelloggs fried GT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Snap, crackle pop - Kelloggs fried GT

Calgary_GAGT
01-02-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, this has been by far the most unpleasureable oil change I've ever experienced. Riddled with disaster right from the word go.

After coming to terms with the fact that my rear spoiler looks like some asshat took a scotch pad and ran it all over it, I decided to take out my frustration on a standard oil change.

Ha! Ha, I tell you. After draining the oil, I moved on to the filter. In the midst of trying to use one of the oil wrenches, it dropped right in to the oil pan I had with all the dirty oil. Great... just great. After much cleaning, it was still a little too greasy and just wouldn't grip the filter. Thankfully, I had another one lying around.

Unfortunately, it's a little too big for the job and thus, don't like to use it. Anyways, After trying desperately to get it to fit up past the frame and on to the filter, I tugged and obviously slipped off and hit something electrical below. Didn't quite see what I hit, but I got the whole zap zap zap, spark, spark, **** my pants, scream scenario.

I haven't started the car yet, and I'm not sure what the hell I may have hit. Only thing I could see down there was a bloated cyclinder object, that looks much like a miny beer keg (albeit, obviously don't know what the hell it is)

Hopefully someone might have a good idea as to what the hell electrical equipment I crossed when I was under the car (very close to the filter, whatever it was) and if it's going to cause any electrical or fire issues when I crank the car?

Can't wait to go to bed... I've had enough of this day.

Blackrider
01-02-2005, 07:27 PM
You just grounded out the starter cable, I have done it before lol. You will be fine, The only thing i did was melt a hole in the oil filter

UNCTYPE-S
01-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Didn't quite see what I hit, but I got the whole zap zap zap, spark, spark, **** my pants, scream scenario.

i literally almost fell off my chair laughing when i read this. i could only imagine seeing ur face when this happened. lol

Calgary_GAGT
01-02-2005, 09:00 PM
You just grounded out the starter cable, I have done it before lol. You will be fine, The only thing i did was melt a hole in the oil filter

Hehe, yup - thanks. Actually, I was a little too quick to post this message. I'm borrowing the rents garage since I don't have one of my own, and they wanted it back by the end of the night, so I was kind of in a rush to see if I should call up my insurance company and make a pre-claim for fire damage. lol

My buddy came over and I climbed back under the car (after having changed to clean underwear) and took a look at things a bit better.

I was wrong about the kegger... damn compressor. I was hopping that GM had supplied free keggers to all Pontiac drivers, knowing full well we must have suffered from fetal alcohol syndrom. Hell, only reason why I can explain why I bought a second Pontiac in a row.

After looking under the car, we assumed that it was the starter on the right that I had made contact with. My biggest concern was that after having fried it, my car my have actually started on the first turn for a change. Alas, such is not... I still suffer from the car having the odd time where it want's to start after only turning over..and over.. and over.. and, well you get the point.

Now that I think about it.. the light show under the car far surpassed any of the fireworks displays we had last year at the Stampede. Think I may got out and have myself another showing.

Anyone want videos? :)

Calgary_GAGT
01-02-2005, 09:04 PM
i literally almost fell off my chair laughing when i read this. i could only imagine seeing ur face when this happened. lol

Mwhahah, actually I'm quite sure it was a sight to be seen. I kind of wished I had videos of my own. I'm far too lazy to move at a decent rate of speed at the best of times, but hot damn did I clear a lot of area in a short period of time, pumping my legs and flapping my arms.

And all on a creeper to boot!

This could become this next biggest sport.

Although, still not my record breaking speed dash. Best was when I was working on my GTP, trying to do the brakes and my car slipped off the jack and fell on the floor.

Yes...I said jack. Not jack stand.

As previously stated about laziness... I was far too lazy to find jack's to actually secure the POS.

I'm beginning to think I'm not intellegent enough to own a car. lol

Blackrider
01-02-2005, 09:08 PM
Hehe, yup - thanks. Actually, I was a little too quick to post this message. I'm borrowing the rents garage since I don't have one of my own, and they wanted it back by the end of the night, so I was kind of in a rush to see if I should call up my insurance company and make a pre-claim for fire damage. lol

My buddy came over and I climbed back under the car (after having changed to clean underwear) and took a look at things a bit better.

I was wrong about the kegger... damn compressor. I was hopping that GM had supplied free keggers to all Pontiac drivers, knowing full well we must have suffered from fetal alcohol syndrom. Hell, only reason why I can explain why I bought a second Pontiac in a row.

After looking under the car, we assumed that it was the starter on the right that I had made contact with. My biggest concern was that after having fried it, my car my have actually started on the first turn for a change. Alas, such is not... I still suffer from the car having the odd time where it want's to start after only turning over..and over.. and over.. and, well you get the point.

Now that I think about it.. the light show under the car far surpassed any of the fireworks displays we had last year at the Stampede. Think I may got out and have myself another showing.

Anyone want videos? :)

Dont worry about it, same thing happend to me (On dads grand am) lol

02andahalfgt
01-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Although, still not my record breaking speed dash. Best was when I was working on my GTP, trying to do the brakes and my car slipped off the jack and fell on the floor.

Yes...I said jack. Not jack stand.

Wow, good thing you weren't working under the car when that happened! Sounds like you had a rather interesting night this time. lol

Calgary_GAGT
01-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Wow, good thing you weren't working under the car when that happened! Sounds like you had a rather interesting night this time. lol

Not quite. Had the tire off so was just trying to release the pin to swivle the caliper. I was tugging on the bolt and my buddy screemed at me when he started to see the car shake. I moved my legs out from under the car and just in time to.

The car came crashing down, with the passenger side rotor coming crashing down on the concrete floor.

Took a nasty chunk of concrete out. Oh yeah, and allowed me to by a replacement rotor to boot.

I r the suck.

02andahalfgt
01-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Close call then! Good thing you got your legs outta there!

GAGTSCTGuy
01-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Use Jackstands People!

Good thing you were ok, I'm scare of one of my cars falling so I always use jackstands and like shake the **** out of the car before crawling under to make sure they are on good

Calgary_GAGT
01-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Use Jackstands People!

Good thing you were ok, I'm scare of one of my cars falling so I always use jackstands and like shake the **** out of the car before crawling under to make sure they are on good

I'm always dead set against working under a car without jackstands. I refuse to do it. Except this one time. And I paid for it in more ways then one.

Even if it means going to a neighbours now to borrow stands, I'm not climbing under a car without them.

Blackgt1
01-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Thread title reminds me of a failed **** Krispies joke I had while playing baseball in the states.... apparently they don't have **** Krispies there *in WA anyways*

Blackgt1
01-09-2005, 02:33 AM
errrr r ice krispies, you know? grr

eaglesrealm
01-09-2005, 06:48 PM
As a cheap, backup, I ALWAYS slide my tire under the frame when I take it off, 1/2 under the car. That way, in case it comes even off the jack stands it will hit that and at a minimum stop the fall for a bit, if not all together. Its a good habit to have, just in case.

Calgary_GAGT
01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Not a bad idea... but sounds like too much work for me. I think I'll stick to the smart actions of someone that will use jack stands.

In the future.