Ouch! Need a new Steering Rack & Lines [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ouch! Need a new Steering Rack & Lines

VaGT
01-03-2005, 08:58 AM
The bad luck car continues...

The leak is Power Steering fluid. I had to add a little bit before the car went out of warrantee, but never thought much about it until it was out of warrantee and I had to add some more.

Now, I have an estimate for $1150 total for an AC Delco Rack, and $1750 for a GM Rack... estimates include P/S lines both of which are leaking, and labor.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the above? After I left, I noticed they didn't print them on the estimate.

I will be calling GM to voice my complaints.

VaGT
01-03-2005, 10:08 AM
What are the odds that GM might cover at least part of the repair costs?

Considering the amount of trouble I have had with the car, and time spent sitting in the dealer waiting room, I think they should.

Just to name a few...

Warped Rotors 5K and 25K miles
Front Passenger window regulator.
Front Drivers side window regulator
Blower motor resistor
Intake Gasket Leak
Other minor repairs

and now this.

The car has 60,000 miles on it. My previous two cars were traded in with about 60K on them and neither had to be in the shop for repairs once (beyond the normal stuff for a 60K car).

NorKoastal
01-03-2005, 12:57 PM
What is causing the problem in the rack??? Where is the fluid coming from?? Is a whole swap necessary or just your PS pump + lines???

VaGT
01-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Coming from 2 places in the rack, and both lines.

Fluid coming from the verticle piece (forget the name) and another spot on the rack.

On hold with GM right now trying to see if they will cover some of it if I decide to keep the vehicle - I've just about had it with this car.

VaGT
01-03-2005, 01:25 PM
Figures... service manager is out right now. They need to contact them before they can do anything, and I guess I actually have to pay for the full price before they even tell me what the reimbersment number is.

VaGT
01-03-2005, 02:41 PM
BTW, the local dealer's hourly labor rate is up to $89.00! I was hit for a half hour for looking at the car today.

This in addition to the crazy profit they make off of the parts.