Who here has had GM help cover repair costs? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Who here has had GM help cover repair costs?

VaGT
01-03-2005, 02:39 PM
I have a thread about needing a new Power Steering rack and lines and the $1150 - $1750 estimate for the work. (Cost difference is AC Delco vs GM Parts). I called GM customer service, explained the problems and the overall dissatisfaction I have had with the reliability of the car, and asked about getting GM to help me out a bit with the repair costs. He tried to call my service manager, but he wasn't in.... waiting for a call back from Customer Service.

The phone call was pretty promising, but from what I understand, they can't tell me how much they'll reimburse until after I get the repair done. I'm not even sure if they'll give a yes or no before then.

Does anyone else have experience in this? If so, I'd like to hear some details. Miles, the problem, and how much they reimbursed you, etc. If GM handles this well, I may consider buying from them again.

eaglesrealm
01-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Well, first of all, if you want GM to really pay for part of it : DO NOT authorize the work until you get an agreement. Once the work is completed, you can kiss any idea of a refund away.

I have had GM help after the warranty on the LIM replacement. This was probably due to the large issue that they have with this though. I have not heard too much about a wide spread stering issue, so that may be tougher. Also, I want to remain optimistic for you, but the people on the phone always sound promising the first time. Then they call you back after talking to the dealer and pretend to be the good guy just giving you the message of "Sorry, no luck". I have been suckered in by that a lot with the RSA tire issue and such with various GM cars that I have owned. I once had my Cavalier in 9 times for a Check Engine light that ended up being the PCM.

VaGT
01-04-2005, 07:08 AM
Was the help a good amount? Like 50% or less?

eaglesrealm
01-04-2005, 09:13 AM
For the LIM replacement, I paid $150 of the $550 (approx)

GAGT7386
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I had my steering knucle crack on me while I was driving, and I got a hold of the 1 800 MY PONTIAC and talked to them. It was going to cost me $575 to get it replaced, after a long time of argueing and calling the GM service department, the dealership sent me a check for $580 and an appology note attached. Since it was something that put my well - being in danger is what they said, they felt they had to refund me.

AznGA
01-04-2005, 07:22 PM
For the LIM replacement, I paid $150 of the $550 (approx)
Only $550 for LIM replacment? That's cheap compared to dealers in my area.

eaglesrealm
01-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I was suprised by that also. I think it ended up being about 6 hours of labor (85/hr)and some misc. parts.

JermsGAGT03
01-06-2005, 10:34 PM
I've never had them help me pay por anything but I have had my car in over 12 times now with a knocking noise in the front end suspension. I finally got tired of hearing the same story about how they did everything they could and I called GM myself. They extended my warranty on the car from 3 year/ 36,000 to 5 year/75,000 for free. who knows they might just end up helping you if you stand your ground.

RiChWhA
01-06-2005, 11:15 PM
GM payed for my entire lower intake manifold gasket leak. I also just called their customer service and told them I knew this was a common problem.

matthar924
01-06-2005, 11:35 PM
GM also paid for my Intake Manifold Gasket. Granted, it was still under the extended warranty, but I had never heard of an intake gasket blowing at 60k! I tried getting pontiac to help pay for rotors too. The car was serviced for rotors eight times starting at 10,000 miles till around 80 or 90,000. I finally just gave up and put on powerslots. The back rear window glass has been permanently "etched" vertically from something in the door...I never bothered to have that fixed under warranty. Basically GM wouldn't fork over any money for the rotor problem because it's considered a "wearable" item.

RiChWhA
01-07-2005, 12:35 PM
I was out of warranty for my gasket leak, however they though I would be a future GM buyer if they took care of me. Just make sure that if you are trying to get GM to help pay for a repair, call their customer service because the dealership won't even try to help out. And as said before, don't let the shop start work on your car until you are finished talking with customer service. Good luck to all.