Radiator Light stays on!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Light stays on!!

82-T/A
01-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Hey guys,

So I was having some mild overheating problems. To be honest, it wasn't really overheating. It's just that the temperature gauge was sitting at a level higher than it normally does and it absolutely wouldn't drop below this new level. The level it was stuck at was about the halfway mark through the entire range.

So, I hoped (prayed) it wasn't the water pump. It turned out to be the thermostat. I figured I would try that first. I spent about 2 hours twisting my body to get back there and I eventually replaced the thermostat. The car runs SOOO cool now (replaced it with a 180 and found out that there was already a 180 in there, is this stock??).

With the new thermostat, the temperature level RARELY ever gets above the 1/4 mark.

However, now... my LOW COOLANT LEVEL warning light stays on (the light that looks like a radiator with the arrow pointing down).

I burped the cooling system and was able to fill the radiator back up. Even the overflow reservoir / container (whatever that thing is) seems to keep a consistent level when warm, or cold (their respective levels).

I don't think I have any air in there, but now I'm not sure.

Could the sensor that controls this light perhaps have gone bad? Any advice? Anyone had this problem?

Thanks!

manic mechanic
01-04-2005, 06:18 PM
You can always remove the sensor from the overflow tank and clean it with mild dish detergent and water. I've seen a few become so gummy that they would give false readings.

Also, you should keep an eye on the overflow tank every so often. As the engine cools and heats the coolant goes through a contraction and expansion cycle to purge any air from the system and maximize the amount of coolant in the radiator, hoses, engine, heater core etc.

82-T/A
01-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Thanks! I appreciate it. I didn't even know the sensor was in the overflow tank. That means it should be really easy to get to.

Thanks!