Water Pump Replacement [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump Replacement

Clyde
01-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Has anyone out there changed their water pump?

I have a coolant leak and its FINALLY been determined the water pump is about to retire.

My mechanic says he will do it for about $200 <canadian>

im wundering of this is a job i can do myself ... without tooo much difficulty??

GAGTSCTGuy
01-06-2005, 06:34 AM
I changed on in my 2.2L Sunfire last month, its not that hard... Took about 2 hours (and I'm new to fixing cars :))

Clyde
01-06-2005, 06:39 AM
the only thing really holding me back from doing it myself right is our temp outside
we're sitting at anywhere between -35 and -50 with the bloody windchill

now if i can hold out on this for another 4mths im set!

GAGTSCTGuy
01-06-2005, 06:46 AM
I had the same problem, except it was only about 35F here when I changed it, which was cold enough for me. It wasn't very windy where I was working though.

Anyways, Good luck with it

2kramairGT
01-06-2005, 06:53 AM
I did mine recently. Got the pump at Autozone for about $22 and a tube of thermostat rtv stuff. The job is pretty easy. Give yourself about 2 hours. Try and find an indoor garage to do it at if its that cold out.

mikeyguru
01-21-2005, 01:32 PM
do it yourself save yourself tons of money. i recomend every one should get the haynes manual for there car. shows you how to do it step by step. also any other things that might come along. get it done soon or you might do more damage to your car if it ever goes out. watch for it leaking on you belt also it'll eat away at it next thing you know your belt has snapped and you have more problems than what you started with.

ram444
01-22-2005, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt recomend you doing it youre self i had mine done and i wached the machanic do it. I asked him how easy it would be to do it my self and just watching him i got my answere. It would a complete you know what if you try to do ityourself. unless you have youre own shop or you are a machanic youreself I wouldnt recomend it. It's not a easy job if you dont have the right tools and the expeireance to do it.

ram444
01-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Also $200 is not a bad price i would just have them do it and save youself a headache.