Low Coolant but no visible leaks [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Low Coolant but no visible leaks

dahvaio
01-06-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure it I should worry about his by I've had to re-fill my coolant level a couple of times in the past 6 months. I do not see any leaks anywhere. The only thing that I've changed is that I drive a little bit more.

What are the main causes for the coolant to drain so quickly?

Thanks,
David

Slim
01-06-2005, 12:59 PM
An internal leak (head gasket, lower intake manifold) will not be visible. Remove your oil cap and check the underside for a beige rediue. This is an indication of coolant in your oil. Also, check your dipstick for the same thing. If that doesn't yeild anything, take it to a garage and have a pressure test done on the system.

If you do have coolant in your oil, get it fixed ASAP. Coolant in the oil is a quick way to ruin your engine.

Skix51
01-06-2005, 06:19 PM
You might want to look at the belt and make sure its not getting coolant on it. I had a small leak from the water pump gasket that I couldn't find but my belt was wearing unusaully fast and I was adding coolant every couple of months. I just replaced the water pump and stock gasket was worn.

I think it cost me around 25 bucks for a new pump and gasket, and took less than an hour to change.

eaglesrealm
01-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Yes, it can be an internal leak like my wife's Alero. Luckily my GAGT was an external leak only. Either way, for peace of mind, you may want to have the LIM looked at.

Blackrider
01-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Pressure test

ram444
01-06-2005, 09:37 PM
check youre oil and you will know if you have a big problem. my buddy had that same thing happened. agian check youre oil. also hace someone check youre water pump i just had mine replaced 77000 miles.

dahvaio
01-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I will make sure to check my oil cap, water pump and get have the car pressure tested.