not good- oil leak ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : not good- oil leak ?

carsarecool
01-06-2005, 03:07 PM
i went to check my oil earlier and the level was about 1/4 inch below the cross-hatch marks, i have no idea how it got that low- there's a few small spots on my driveway but i couldnt tell what it was. i checked it the other day and it was in the middle of the hatch,just changed it 2500 miles ago. maybe my filter's not on tight? by the way its a 2.4 TC not the 3400 !

my question is what could cause that much of a drop in oil level, i know stomping the gas all the time uses some but ive been driving it pretty easy lately, the 2.4 doesnt have a rep for losing oil does it? also- its like 20 degrees out, snowed earlier and sleeting now, im using full synthetic mobil 1 and the only thing i have in the garage is non-synthetic mobil drive clean 10W-30, is that too thick to mix or should i try that and get some more M1 asap?

p.s. or is mobil 1 THAT good where i can take a slow drive to autozone (+-7 miles) and not worry?

oh coolant looks fine too

DeRat
01-06-2005, 04:47 PM
I've always been told once you use sysnthetic stay with it - but I do not know why... but I'm not sure you should mix - if your going to stop with synthetic I'd get a flush first...

imho - take the bus.

eaglesrealm
01-06-2005, 09:13 PM
Traditional oil molecules are all different sizes and break down unevenly. Full synthetics have all the same size molecules and break down much more even. Due to the differences in how the molecules break down is why they say you should not mix them.

tenspeed
01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
I would say that you could make it to the store to buy some oil. It sounds like you're about 1.5 quarts low. I keep a quart in the tire well for topping off between changes.

action
01-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Everyone I know with a 2.4l engine finds that the engine will burn a little oil. Unless you notice blue smoke comming out your exaust I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you check your oil level at least once a month.