12V Car Cigarette Lighter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 12V Car Cigarette Lighter

kevin231
01-09-2005, 10:20 PM
I got two heated seat cushions to go over my leather seats for the winter time. They run off of the 12 cigarette lighter for power. My qestion is I bought a dual adapter so that i can hook up two seat warmers to the 12v cigarette lighter, and the fuse in the adapter keeps blowing. the fuse it came with was a 5watt do i need a higher wattage, and if so how much wattage do i need

anyhelp would be appreciated

kevin

sc02grandam
01-09-2005, 10:37 PM
run the wires to the fuse box (either left or right) --> this will look much nicer

the cigarette lighter fuse is fuse #34 and is under the hood and is 20A

kevin231
01-10-2005, 09:55 PM
the tip of the adapter that splits the cigarette lighter into two inputs gets really hot plugged in, and i mean really hot. Is that normal?

action
01-12-2005, 01:38 PM
No, this means that the load (seat heaters) is too high for the adaptor you bought. Sounds like its less then 20a that the cig lighter is wired for, the package that your splitter came in should state what the maximum amperage that can be plugged into it.

I think they are designed for pretty small stuff like 2 cell chargers, or an air pump and a cell charger, etc.

I'd buy another cig lighter from an auto parts store and have it installed in the passenger side footwell somewhere (maybe in the side of the console, and have it wired directly to the fuse panel or to the battery. Dont forget to use a fuse holder for the new plug in as well.