12v question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 12v question

kevin231
01-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Is there a way so that when i turn off my car, the power coming from the you light up your cigarette lighter shuts off as well.

My last car was a 1998 eagle talon and when i turned the car off the power from the 12v use to shut off as well. With the grand am i still get power even when the key is out. Any suggestions on how to make it shut off

kevin

dxtreme_85
01-11-2005, 10:45 PM
Yeah........rewire it. Seriously though...tap off of the traction control switch for power....and cut the old constant (+) wire from the cig. lighter...then t-tap the tract control wire down to the cig. DONE.

action
01-12-2005, 01:28 PM
^^^ I wouldnt do that, the power at the traction control swithc isnt fused very heavy, as soon as you plug something that uses a couple amps your likely going to pop a fuse or have a wiring melt down!!! If you do this, you'd have to use a relay and use the power from the TC button to operate the relay.

If you want to rewire it, run a new (+) wire to the fuse panel on the drivers side and but a good fuse tap with a fused output (any auto store should have this). Connect this to the fuse for the radio (which is a switched acc) and your done with a properly fused power sourse.

dxtreme_85
01-12-2005, 03:49 PM
only reason i didn't recomend this was b/c most people aren't good w/ relays. If you could see the inside of my car...you would be able to tell that i don't have a prob. w/ them. Didn't know that the trac. switch was fused so low. You could always change the fuse.....

action
01-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Yeah, but fuses are installed based on the wiring in the car for that circuit. If you install a higher fuse, you'll melt the wiring becuause its too thin.

The reason these wires are so small in todays cars is becuase the switches in the dash no longer actually switch the load that they are put there for. The switch only sends a signal to the Body Control Module, or to a relay. Both use very low current, hence the nice small decorative switches, and small wires in the car.

mchristy
07-07-2006, 07:03 PM
Guys,

I added an extra 12v outlet for my xm by tapping into the orange wire in the monsoon wiring. I thought this would turn on and off with the car but it is always on, is there a different wire I can tap into to achieve this? or is the only way to tap into the fusebox?

EBlend
07-08-2006, 02:20 AM
how about this, take a relay
http://www.the12volt.com/images/relaytext2.gif

Hook up 85 to ground, 86 to traction control power (or any other switched power), 30 to the lighter side of the power wire (the wire that provides contant 12v to power the lighter) and 87 to the car side of the lighter wire.

Boom and your done, when you get switched power accross 85-86 coil energizes and closes the contacts between 87 and 30 and giving you power, turn off the car and the switch opens and power is gone

And best of all, don't need to change any fuses as all the relay does in this senario is switch the contant 12v, so whatever the originaly fuse would blow at is the same as it would blow from a relay

tenspeed
07-08-2006, 08:45 AM
Kevin, do you need the lighter to turn off for some reason?

If you need switched power, many people have tapped into the fuse panels located on both ends of the dash. That's a lot easier than trying to tie the lighter circuit into a switched circuit.