SLP exhaust worth it or not? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SLP exhaust worth it or not?

alexjames
01-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Right now im working with a CAI its awsome i looking for exhaust now, im thinking the slp right now but some people dont like it. i never heard it but they say it isnt much louder than stock but that cant be true. i want somthing that isnt obnoxiously loud u know. Fill me in. . .

badboy2451
01-12-2005, 01:45 PM
lol, people are gonna tell you to use the search button

try searching for SLP and you will find a bunch of info, along with some sound clips maybe

i dont have one myself but from all the research i have done, it sounds to me like it is the way to go

RamAirGT22
01-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I have the SLP and love it. Some say it's too loud. Some say not enough. I like the sound and rumble I get from it. Do a search for "SLP sound clip" and see if you can find the sound clips. I know there are a few of them around the boards here...

AznGA
01-12-2005, 01:56 PM
I have SLP and I will say it is damn loud. But you can get used to it.

02andahalfgt
01-12-2005, 03:07 PM
i never heard it but they say it isnt much louder than stock but that cant be true.

lol If anyone tells you that then they haven't heard it either. I love it, sounds great, especially at start up. :metal:

UNCTYPE-S
01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
if those people think its not much louder then stock, then they either:

a)own muscle cars
b)their deaf and cant hear the stock sound anyway
c)their head is up someones ass and has never heard slp before.

dsk727
01-12-2005, 03:21 PM
I have a sound clip/mini movie of my car with the SLP... (it is saved on another computer, let me know if you want to hear it..) I love mine, I say it is worth it, and it may be loud but you get used to it! :D

Fish
01-12-2005, 03:29 PM
I drove a GA with SLP exhaust. I loved it. Also had a remote start. I found myself starting the car just to hear it. LOL.

dsk727
01-12-2005, 03:34 PM
:) hehe now I know why the battery on the remote start is dying LOL j/k
but yeah I absolutely love when my car remote starts in the morning.. sounds great from a cold start!!!

mikeyguru
01-21-2005, 01:10 PM
just installed it last week. my father in-law loves it. he has the new f-150 v-8 triton loaded to the gills with goodies. he says my car sounds better than his truck. now he wants to borrow the car for running errands all the time. its a great sound nothing compared to stock. oh and if you got cai installed its gonna sound even better

seffedman
01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
He must not have a good exhaust on the triton. I love my GA and have a borla exhaust (which sounds great), but come on there's no way a V6 can ever sound as good as a V8!!

Braves299
01-21-2005, 02:34 PM
SLP is def. worth it :)

atc3434
01-21-2005, 04:07 PM
Yea, plus one for the slp. The droning on the highway is annoying, but if you don't mind that, you'll love the rumble. Not to mention a much better flowing exhaust. W/ a CAI its a definte advantage over stock.

CoopGT
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
He must not have a good exhaust on the triton. I love my GA and have a borla exhaust (which sounds great), but come on there's no way a V6 can ever sound as good as a V8!!
I'm with you I love my Borla. I've had Load exhaust systems on plenty of V8's and the Borla still sounds better. Don't get me wrong folks my 71 Cutlass had headers with Turbo mufflers it sounded good but it was LOAD real LOAD.

Big thing is get what you like.

AaronGAGT
01-21-2005, 04:54 PM
I would say its not worth the money... but thats just me... and Im trying to save money nowadays instead of spending

02andahalfgt
01-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Yea, plus one for the slp. The droning on the highway is annoying, but if you don't mind that, you'll love the rumble. Not to mention a much better flowing exhaust. W/ a CAI its a definte advantage over stock.

I'm on the highway everyday to and from work and I barely notice the droning anymore. And if you turn up the volume on the radio just a little bit, it's like it's not even there anymore. ;)

chill03sct
01-21-2005, 04:57 PM
not worth the money, when you can get a cutout and get better gains off of it. plus its much cheaper, when you can just get that and nice tips. but hey thats just me. if you get it, enjoy it!

chris

AznGA
01-21-2005, 05:49 PM
stock exhaust with cutout????

atc3434
01-22-2005, 12:02 AM
stock exhaust with cutout????

= worthless, IMO.

Brken123
01-22-2005, 03:05 AM
Ok question......buddy of mine knows the owner of a place that does custom exhausts....and offered to get me one today (birthday present). From what I understand they basically take stainless steel piping and "mold" it/bend it/custom fit it to the car. He said they have 3 mufflers that they sell, but he's not sure what they are. Now he had a mazda with a similar kind of exhaust set up on his, and granted while it was loud and turned heads, it still had the annoying wine of a 4 cylinder. Not saying 4 cylinders are bad or anything, but trying to avoid that sound with my car.
So now on to the question....if I go with this idea, before mufflers, it's gonna cost around 400.....anyone here have flowmaster 80 series mufflers? If so, where'd you get em? Also can anyone tell me if this is a good idea or not, why/whynot, and if I should just get the SLP from PFYC and be done with it. I am basically trying to do something different, but by the same token don't really know what I'm getting myself into. I'd hate to get a nice exhaust and have it sound like a swarm of bee's going up the road.
If anyone can offer any answers or advice on this, it's be great and much appreciated. Also anyone here on the east coast....check out the East Coast section....post on there about the philly auto show.....post up if your going.....would be cool to meet in person and talk about this....if not, just post up. Thanks!!!!

02andahalfgt
01-22-2005, 09:18 AM
if I go with this idea, before mufflers, it's gonna cost around 400.....
I should just get the SLP from PFYC and be done with it.

The second statement is correct. The SLP is $395, shipping to PA, I only paid $40 or $50 (I don't remember). You'll save money and sound great.

atc3434
01-22-2005, 09:29 AM
Or, get the SLP piping and put your Flowmaster 80 on that... still cheaper than the numbers that shop is showing you.

Brken123
01-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm not concerned about price.....(I'm not paying for it).....

AznGA
01-22-2005, 11:24 AM
If you aren't concerned about price, either get the whole SLP system or SLP piping with Magnaflow muffler. I hear Flowmaster 80 is crappy.

Or if you want you can get Borla for about $700, which is quieter.

Brken123
01-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Don't like the borla...IMO it's too quiet. Also thinkin gabout doing custom 3 inch piping from the cat back, just not sure which muffler to go with. Guy at the shop said 3 inch piping would be easy to do....going in the shop sat to get this done. He has flowmaster 80 series mufflers at his shop. Might just go with that and be done with it.

atc3434
01-24-2005, 06:28 AM
3" piping = a waste IMO. Your not boosted, and certainly don't have a NA powerhouse worthy of such large piping. You might actually lose power, due to less scavenging. For sure you'd shift all the power up into the higher RPMs, where the 3400 isn't really at its best. Like everybodies said, SLP piping, and then your muffler of choice, is the best way to go.

Brken123
01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah after thinking about it, I'm going to go 2.5 from cat back.....also started to think about clearance issues....like bottoming out and ripping the damn exhaust off......

AndyVTek
01-24-2005, 04:57 PM
The SLP catback on a GA GT sounds pretty friggin' awesome... Doesn't sound like bumble bees or anything, just nice and deep. 'Specially on starting the car, it sounds great.

I'd suggest getting the SLP... $440 and you're done, installation is easy.

:thumbs:

1HOTGT
01-25-2005, 08:02 AM
i've had the SLP for almost a year and absolutely love it!! besides my hood it's been the best purchase i've made for the grand am. it does get a little annoying on the highway at first but like someone said, turn the music up and you'll be fine! if you're worried about bottoming out, don't. it is low, especially if the car is lowered, so you do have to be careful going over speed bumps and make sure you don't go over any high chunks of snow in the road during the winter. we have to get under and tighten a few things just because of all the snow we've had in Dayton, Ohio this year. my husband (03cavfire) is the head of Full Throttle Motorsports and may be able to get you a deal on it. email him and ask contact_full_throttle@yahoo.com

but yes, i DO suggest SLP. borla didn't sound good at all. there wasn't enough of that somewhat V8 sound. love the rumble and people do turn and look!

Brken123
01-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Just gonna go with custom piping and mufflers.....doing a y pipe off the cat.....just haven't decided on mufflers yet.
1HOTGT = I may email your hubby just out of curiosity to see what he could do.....or you could talk to him and post up.

Brken123
02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Update.....got this done today.....pics were taken with my phone, so they aren't the best....anyone's thoughts/opinions welcome....just don't bash me too bad... :(

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showpost.php?p=582084&postcount=53

Have to go there to check em out....won't let me post the same pics in 2 different threads.....not sure why....but it won't.

02andahalfgt
02-01-2005, 09:09 PM
Those tips look pretty badass.

Brken123
02-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Thanks. Look better in person.

1HOTGT
02-02-2005, 08:05 AM
aren't those the SLP tips?? anywayz, yeah def get in touch with Josh. and that goes for anyone. he can get some deals.

Brken123
02-05-2005, 12:15 AM
No they aren't slp.....

Brken123
02-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Here...not much better, but different pics.