GM's "sealed" tranny leaks? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : GM's "sealed" tranny leaks?

carsarecool
01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
well had a pan drop/filter change by a good tranny shop back in august, since about 3 weeks ago ive been noticing red/pink spots on my driveway in 2 different places, thought it might be coolant from our alero but i parked my car and left it for a few hours, i can tell its def. coming from mine especially in the snow- its slippery and doesnt smell like coolant. did a search but its mostly stuff on the 1-2 shift problem everybody has, not leaks, so could it be the bolts werent torqued good enough or do they come loose after a while? im gonna bring it back there this week, would i notice shift problems or shudder before it actually causes damage?

anybody else have that or similar problems? BTW just turned 90,000 mi fluid change done at 80k

action
01-13-2005, 08:06 AM
If you just had a tranny fluid change, look under the car at the pan to see if its wet with oil (tranny oil). If it is, take it back, they may have under tightened a basepan bolt, or overtightened and stripped out a bolt.

killerhound
01-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Yup...my valve body in my tranny went. Turned out there was an updated version as well, so that was replaced along with my clutch, which supposedly went with the leaking fluid.

Malaclypse
01-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Most likely the shop you took it to used a cork gasket from a local parts house instead of the rubber seal from GM. Those cork gaskets are notorious for leaking.

2002AmSE
01-25-2005, 11:00 AM
I had my transmission fluid swapped with a pan drop, gasket never got replaced(I provided it when I gave them the new filter, and they showed me the old filter)... They said it shouldnt leak with the same gasket, but obviously about 3 drops or so a night doesn't agree. I wish I had a dipstick. ...Who knows maybe they overtorqued and f'ed my transmission pan bolts as it could be the case, how would that get fixed if they did that? Would the holes be messed or just those tiny little bolts?

2002AmSE
01-25-2005, 11:02 AM
...Another question, is there usually any kind of gasket seal product that gets used when they tighten the pan down with a new gasket?

carsarecool
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
i dont think so, i thought it was just gasket, pan and bolts. one of my buddies said dont worry about it for now, im gonna have it looked at next week maybe- im also having that 1-2 upshift problem once in a while above 3500 rpm's, like its a standard. They probly arent related, just more stuff to tell the transmission shop

Mike Jung
01-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Not a tranny leak; but I did have an ATF fluid leak on my GA.

The right/passenger side axle shaft seal & sleeve was leaking ATF fluid.
Had that replaced & asked them at the same time to also do a tranny pan drop ATF fluid change with new filter & gasket.

According to my dad:
This is a common problem with GM front wheel drive cars.
As he has had it happen on 3-GM front wheel drive cars that he has owned.
& it is also happened to my buddy's '98 Sunfire GT.

PS: It doesn't cost too much to have replaced (with a ATF Fluid top-off to the proper level).

atc3434
01-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Not a tranny leak; but I did have an ATF fluid leak on my GA.

The right/passenger side axle shaft seal & sleeve was leaking ATF fluid.
Had that replaced & asked them at the same time to also do a tranny pan drop ATF fluid change with new filter & gasket.

According to my dad:
This is a common problem with GM front wheel drive cars.
As he has had it happen on 3-GM front wheel drive cars that he has owned.
& it is also happened to my buddy's '98 Sunfire GT.

PS: It doesn't cost too much to have replaced (with a ATF Fluid top-off to the proper level).

Just had the axle shaft seal replaced on my GA as well, passengers side. Sure would have been nice to been able to check my tranny fluid easier during that ordeal.

carsarecool
01-26-2005, 09:45 PM
oh i think thats it! the drops are always from the pass. side and from what i can see looking under it, it looks like the fluid is coated on the part of the half-shaft coming out of the tranny, i just thought it was getting flung around under there. cool il have that looked at

carsarecool
01-28-2005, 08:01 PM
OK, i started it after letting it sit for a week, it ran for 5 mins then i put it in reverse and it didnt go anywhere. i thought the tires were spinning since it was in snow but the speedo was still at 0 and the tranny was just slipping- this happen to anybody else? it would rev to 2200 butr didnt move for 2 or 3 mins til it warmed up, then started to go. kinda scared me. is that from sitting for a week in the freezing cold, slight lack of fluid or both?

atc3434
01-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Lack of fluid, probably 2+ quarts low... get more! Find that leak and get it fixed, you don't wanna be beating on that tranny.

carsarecool
01-29-2005, 04:44 PM
yeah i bought tranny fluid, im gonna put some in soon- i had to give it some gas today to merge, it downshifted to first and shuddered/shook a little.