98 Pontiac Grand Am start problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 98 Pontiac Grand Am start problems

deb789
01-13-2005, 10:13 AM
I have a 98 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan. When i turn it on in the mornings its starts but after that I have to press like tap on the gas pedal to start. It does crank. I dont see any service engine light on. Also i changed the gas filter on it and still doing that. Please help!!

Matt95GT
01-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, let the ECU reset. Mine did the same once... didn't want to idle on warm start. Reset fixed it, as the ECU has to perform an idle relearn.

If that doesn't work, please post which engine you have. (2.4 twin cam or 3100 V6)

deb789
02-04-2005, 05:23 PM
I have a 2.4 twin cam engine. Ive replaced the fuel filter and still no luck. Also noticed that going on 50 miles on highway the car hesitates about 2 jerks but keeps on going. Please help!!

Matt95GT
02-05-2005, 12:14 PM
So did you try the reset by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 30 minutes?

After that, I would start investigating spark/ignition system. When was the last time the spark plugs were changed? Things to check:
-spark plugs - age, brand, gap. Stick with the stock AC Delco platinum plugs... your engine is rather choosey about plug brand. They don't like Bosch +4's, splitfire, etc. Make sure they are gapped properly.
-ignition wiring harness - make sure the plug on the drivers side of the IDI cover (says "2.4 Twin Cam) is secure. Push/pull/twist on it while the engine is running. If the issue comes and goes while you do this, the plug is the issue. This has happened to mine, the rubber seal inside rotted and prevented the plug from making good contact.
-ignition system - check the 4 plug "boots" (since there are no wires) and the IDI system for cracks and signs of arching.

It would be helpful if you had access to a known working IDI module to swap on to test. Good luck.

Black Z28
02-05-2005, 12:53 PM
it could be the maf too... when they go bad, it makes the car hesitate sparatically. has your svs or ses come on yet? you may want to go to advance auto or auto zone (i can't remember which scans for free) to get it scanned.

deb789
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
HEY GUYS THANKS , I havent checked or bought spark plugs in about 5 years. Also what is maf your talking about. No service engine light is not on. Also when i have to start the car and tap it it smells gas. it doesnt give me any shaking on the car its smooth. So do you think its the spark plugs?

Black Z28
02-06-2005, 11:21 PM
maf is the "mass air flow" sensor. sounds like it could be plugs, wires, coils, etc.

Matt95GT
02-07-2005, 07:53 AM
The 2.4 does not have a MAF, nor plug wires.

If your plugs are 5 years old, I'm surprised the car doesn't run worse... time to change them.

deb789
02-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey Matt Did you say to unplug the negative battery cable only, or both cause i did unplug both cables.

Dexman1349
02-07-2005, 05:18 PM
It doesn't matter if you disconnect both. To save time, you only really need to disconnect the negative.

Matt95GT
02-08-2005, 09:22 AM
It doesn't matter if you disconnect both. To save time, you only really need to disconnect the negative.

Yup