Fender Rust - Possibly covered by warranty? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fender Rust - Possibly covered by warranty?

rizer
01-14-2005, 05:57 PM
So im reading through my owners manual and see pontiac offers 6 year "Rust Through" warranty on the cars. Bout one year ago somehow my passenger fender started rusting in the middle, coulda been from a stone chip or door ding, dont i dont recall. Anyways, year later its bout a 2 inch round rust spot right on the edge of the fender and its just getting larger (Under the paint even)

Took it to a Pontiac dealer here in Phoenix and they looked at it and was kinda shocked bout it, he said he has the power to approve issues but its he's not too sure he has to wait for the warranty manager to check it out, anyways i gotta go back monday at 1 and catch that manager, you guys think they'll replace the fender? Its the orginal factory fender.

I'll post a picture in a bit

Molson
01-15-2005, 07:33 AM
GM's Rust through only covered rust THROUGH. Meaning there needs to be a hole.

rizer
01-15-2005, 01:48 PM
Its bad enough to were if i pushed hard enough, I could probally make a hole.

If this dealer says no, it worth pushing and making a hole, then try different pontiac dealer?

Molson
01-15-2005, 02:23 PM
hehe you can try, but its pretty obvious when its been pushed.

rizer
01-15-2005, 03:12 PM
heh, or maybe they'll realize I have 2 years left on the rust warranty so i'm gonna be back sooner or later if they dont fix it now.

rizer
01-15-2005, 03:36 PM
Heres the pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/rizer/fender1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/rizer/fender.jpg

and yes, i know and dont care that the cars dirty and has a 4x4 stance lol

XMBlackGT1
01-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Looks like a door hit that chipped the paint off and it started to rust. I doubt that Pontiac will cover that under warranty, but they might.

tranceokido
01-17-2005, 10:18 AM
i think they might cover it.

action
01-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Wow, that's pretty bad rust for such a new car. I live in newfoundland and our climate is brutal for rust. I have a few chips here and there but nothing like that. I live on the coast and the city uses alot of salt on the roads every winter too!!!

If I were you, and they dont repair that for you, keep spraying the spot with very salty water to accelerate the rust. Maybe a bit of battery acid as well!!!

intence
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
It can't hurt to try, if the dealer doesn't help, you can always try pontiac customer service, they might foot a portion of the bill if you're lucky.

AaronGAGT
01-17-2005, 02:39 PM
thats weird... i got the same rust/bubble in the exact same spot.