Tire Problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tire Problem

kevin231
01-14-2005, 06:49 PM
My Eagle RSA's have started the rubbing sound at slow speeds. The first time this happened they replaced the tires 2 front tires under warranty. The back tires have started making the rubbing sound but i no longer have warranty. Does this sound mean that i need new tires, is it safe to drive with the tires making that sound also is there a way to get rid of the sound. The tires that are making the sound have 50% thread left and i cant afford new tires right now. Anyone know a cheap solution to get rid of the noise

tenspeed
01-14-2005, 07:13 PM
I would say that the tires are worn when the tread is gone. Tires usually don't make noise when their worn out expect for the sound of rubber skidding over pavement.

You could try changing the air pressure, swapping the tires from side to side or swapping the tires with the newer front two to see if the noise goes away. If the noise remains, keep them on the front so they will wear out faster.

AznGA
01-14-2005, 07:29 PM
I had same problem. I just used them until they got bold and got a different new set. RSA's are bad tires considering how expensive they are.

eaglesrealm
01-15-2005, 09:25 AM
I would say that the tires are worn when the tread is gone. Tires usually don't make noise when their worn out expect for the sound of rubber skidding over pavement.

Tenspeed, these RSA's made this rubbing noise (before the fix) when you just looked at them wrong.

However, here is your problem now. You are out of warranty. GM was pretty underhanded about this when they did the free "fix". They only changed peoples front tires and only if you came into complain. What you should have done, in hindsight, is what I did. I explained my frustration at that "fix" to the dealer and he flat out told me what I should do. It was not optimal, but it worked. He did the fix on the front tires. I drove home, did a tire rotation and drove back to the dealer and told them I had the problem again. They changed the other 2 and I was on the road with 4 new tires. This was right at 36,000 miles, so I was happy to get it just in time.

I was not so lucky with my wives Alero. The dealership wanted to do it, but they were overruled by the warranty claims regional rep. in their area for GM. I arranged a meeting with him, to no avail. He was a prick, beyond belief and he is the main reason I am no longer buying GM vehicles. The warranty had expired on her car about 10,000 miles earlier, HOWEVER, we had been waiting for this fix since we complained about the noise when it was still WELL within warranty. He did not care. No fix.

kevin231
01-15-2005, 09:38 AM
is there a way to get rid of the noise? atleast until i am ready to buy new tires

puckyou
01-15-2005, 09:45 AM
I find the noise to be in direct relation to the tire pressure. When the pressure is low the noise returns, when I fill them to correct pressure, it goes away.

eaglesrealm
01-15-2005, 08:34 PM
puckyou, you are right for the most part. I also was able to get the noise to lessen when all 4 tires were exactly at the correct inflation within a pound or two. However, it usually did not take long for it to come back and was a huge annoyance for me.

Of course, that is probably the best step till you are able to get new tires. You could also put the fronts back on and just keep your driving conservative to save tread.

96gase
02-01-2005, 10:37 PM
get some decent tires like Falkens or NITTOS much better less noise and are somewhat made of silicone compound not all rubber so better in rain, quieter on high speeds last longer

besides on the factory chrome wheels on GA's GM chromed the inside so they consistently leak air especially in rapid temp changes.

john_ertw
02-02-2005, 05:11 PM
If the noise really bugs you, you need to get new tires. You can try rotating the tires. The noise comes from the front tires (my guess is because that's where most of the car's weight is supported). Your current rear tires may not make the noise (that's how mine were). If rotating the tires doesn't help you are out of luck. If you think it's worth the $hundreds go ahead and get new tires.

I got mine replaced under warranty since it was free to get new tires. If I had to pay I would live with it and wait until they needed replacing due to tread wear.