t-stat location [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : t-stat location

tranceokido
01-17-2005, 08:40 AM
anyone know where the t-stat is locatd on the GT's? I believe it is under the throttle body. Going to go chang it in about a half hour, anybody have an easy pointers on changing this thing out?

GAGTSCTGuy
01-17-2005, 09:24 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/thermostat.html

tranceokido
01-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Omg GM sux! This thing took me almost 2hours to do. First I thought maybe it just didn't have enough Dex-Cool so I added a 50/50 dex/water mixture. Well finally after driving a while I figured might as well change the damn t-stat since that was the problem Let me say that this was a royal PITA. I never liked how GM wrapped the extractors/headers around the driver's side of the engine..and I hate it even more so that hinders removal and installation of the the t-stat. Well after a little bit it wasn't so bad. Getting the inlet/outlet port for the coolant back on with the t-stat installed was also a bitch. But I got it so no worries. No I get to go wash my car!

intence
01-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Great fun isn't it? You'd think they'd put it in a more "service-friendly" location. I remember doing it, not difficult, just time consuming.

GAGTSCTGuy
01-17-2005, 04:12 PM
I was going to swap mine for a 180 t-stat, but after seeing all the work involved, I decided to wait until I actually have to rip all of that stuff apart.

Glad to hear you got it all together though.

tranceokido
01-20-2005, 09:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You really don't have to take all that much off. Just the ram air system and airbox. Then you have to take the off the metal tube that runs for the coolant inlet/outlet port to the overflow tank. Then just take off that little port and its right there. Its just a bitch to manuver the thing. Why does GM wrap the headers around the engine anyway..that is so ****ing retarded!

intence
01-20-2005, 11:32 PM
It's more time consuming than anything else. Not super-difficult, it just takes longer than you'd expect it to.

GAGTSCTGuy
01-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Exactly what intence said, I just didn't feel liike ripping it all apart for a t-stat. Draining the coolant was enough to put me off. None of it looked hard thought, just a lengthly process.

NorKoastal
01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You really don't have to take all that much off. Just the ram air system and airbox. Then you have to take the off the metal tube that runs for the coolant inlet/outlet port to the overflow tank. Then just take off that little port and its right there. Its just a bitch to manuver the thing. Why does GM wrap the headers around the engine anyway..that is so ****ing retarded!

Im doing this this weekend..... IS this the black tube that feeds cooland to the TB????? This has to come off????

NorKoastal
01-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Just finished the install..... This was a PITA for sure..... The Black coolant line does not need to come completely out just dismounted from the hoses.... This will give you enough room to sneek your hand underneath and loosen the dreaded bottom bolt off....

tranceokido
01-22-2005, 10:38 AM
yeah that bottom bolt was the sucky part....