ahh...the LIM problem...with a question [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ahh...the LIM problem...with a question

n7plus1
01-17-2005, 10:03 AM
Ok, I think I may be experiencing the LIM problem...I found a small puddle of something slightley in front of and below the throttle body and it seems like theres some sort of leakage (brownish color) also around the area. Could that be oil? My question is, would that gasket just be reffered to as the intake manifold gasket and not the "Lower" intake manifold gasket? Im looking online to see how much one of these gaskets cost...if all i need is a "intake manifold gasket" as advance auto parts has listed...thats not too bad like 7 bucks...but when they have to rip everything out to put it in....OUCH! Thanks for the anyone!

p.s. - if this helps, i've had the car since Sept. 2002 with no problems and it has about 74,000 miles on it

AleroME
01-17-2005, 10:38 AM
yeah.. if u look under the throttle body area.. thats it more than likely. The whole set of intake gasket upper and lowers sells for 49.99 for a set at autozone and advanced. Then you'll need some valve cover gaskets too at 11 bucks for a set.

yes we do have 2 intake manifolds, the top is upper and bottom is lower. I dont know where u get the 7 bucks price from.

intence
01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
If you're getting a LIM repair done, you may also want to do some searching about the type of gaskets. Basically the stock gasket was a bad design, and GM won't do a recall since it's not safety related, and fixing all those cars will cost them a fortune.

If you search around, you'll see that GM revised the part in 2003 sometime, and the new gaskets are supposed to be better when it comes to leaks, as long as they were installed properly.

n7plus1
01-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah...on the advance auto and auto zone websites i found some gasket thing that was like 50 bucks like you had described...there was another thing that came up as well for like 7.99...i guess its just one gasket:

http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts.asp?ptset=A&parttype=102&description=Gaskets&sourcepage=PartTypes&searchfor=Intake+Manifold+Gasket[/URL]

im gonna go out on a limb and say this is something you dont want to do yourself. Should i get the "revised" gasket from a local dealer or something..or did manufacturers for aftermarket GM products take after the "revised" gasket?

Thanks for the help!

intence
01-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Make sure you go to a reputable place. I got screwed, they did a crappy job putting the car back together, and i'm having lots of fun fixing all their screwups.

How many miles on your car? If you had an extended warranty, and you're not over the limit by much, GM might offer some assistance for the repair. Don't get your hopes up though.

The process is labor intensive, in the end the better gaskets might cost you an extra 10% of the toal cost, so it might be worth it to go with the revised GM gaskets.

n7plus1
01-17-2005, 12:09 PM
could i just go to a dealer and ask them for the part and get it done elsewhere?

intence
01-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Where do you normally get your car serviced? Some places will let you bring your own parts, but in my opinion, the most important part of the repair would finding a reputable shop that you trust to do it.

Sure, GM will sell you the part, just call the dealership and ask for the parts department. Talk to the shop that's doing the repair, they can probably get the part from GM at the same (or better) price than you. You could also try paceparts.com and gmpartsdirect.com.

n7plus1
01-17-2005, 12:29 PM
i just normally get it service at a non-dealer place..i know the guy so he normally get a good price for me. I had him put other stuff on that i bought...i dont know if he likes that or not though...could i do the repair myself? its just the gasket that goes underneath the "3400 SFI" part on the top of the engine right?

tranceokido
01-17-2005, 01:42 PM
and the manifold below the peice.....sounds about right...but it is way more intense than it sounds.

intence
01-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Someone correct if i'm wrong, pulling the Upper Intake Manifold (the piece that says 3400) is pretty easy. Ignition stuff has to come off, and some other easy stuff.

The hard part is getting to the lower intake manifold, since you have to deal with some internals (pushrods etc.)

Check out: http://www.grandampc.com/leak/ for pics.

AleroME
01-17-2005, 02:05 PM
Someone correct if i'm wrong, pulling the Upper Intake Manifold (the piece that says 3400) is pretty easy. Ignition stuff has to come off, and some other easy stuff.

The hard part is getting to the lower intake manifold, since you have to deal with some internals (pushrods etc.)

Check out: http://www.grandampc.com/leak/ for pics.

Its all easy for me now. I just my 2nd one on my bro's alero this past new years. I think i'm a pro at it now. hehe if u need work done.. just call my cell.

rckrzy1
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
If it's only a little oil seepage I'd not sweat it. BUT if you have any coolant in your oil or vice a versa that's a different story. My kids car has a tiny amount a oil seepage BUT we are waiting for the new Federal Mogel Gasket set that is supposed to come out early this year, one that can tolerate dexcool etc.

n7plus1
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM
well, i stopped by the Pontiac dealer today. They want 56.99 or something like that for the whole set of gaskets. I have an appointment to get all of the work done on the 27th. (Inpsection, and oil..and yes, i normally change my own oil, but since theres coolant in there might as well have him do that as well) Should I have the water pump replaced as well? I'm not sure if its leaking, and i wasnt sure if it contributes at all ot the other problem. Thanks!