Fuel Pressure Regulator - How to Change (fuel smell) [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pressure Regulator - How to Change (fuel smell)

intence
01-17-2005, 11:36 AM
I recently had my LIM changed, and the place that did it, did a terrible job, and i've had lots of little problems with the car since. I suspect they threw everything back together without too much care. Needless to say, taking the car back there is not an option. I've put answers in my previous posts, in case anyone runs into similar problems.

I think i've pretty much gotten everything taken care of, but when the car idles for a while, there's fuel smell .... not good.

I'm 90% sure it's the Fuel Pressure Regulator, if I leave the car alone, and watch it idle, after a while i'll see a bit of fuel build of on the regulator. As long as the car's moving ... no fuel smell. I'm going to poke around with a flashlight to see if the o-rings on the injectors might be leaking too.

How do I change the fuel pressure regulator? The Haynes manual says that the upper intake manifold needs to be removed, can I avoid this if I just want to change the regulator, if i'm going to pull the valve cover, and get to the fuel rail, it shouldn't be much harder to change the injector o-rings while i'm there ... right?

Also, if I decide to rip everything apart, and check the o-rings on the injectors, how do I relieve pressure on the fuel system, the manual says to use a gauge, but I don't have one, is there another way?

Thanks in Advance!

intence
01-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Is it possible that one of the o-rings/seals on the regulator wasn't changed? There's fuel residue on the top "hat" portion of the regulator, but I doubt the fuel rails or injectors were disturbed, is there maybe just a gasket/seal missing that fits between the regulator and the rail?

intence
01-18-2005, 01:06 AM
anyone?

redfox
01-18-2005, 05:36 AM
I had the same problem, When I had my LIM replaced the dealership screwed up one of the o-rings on the injectors, they replaced that of course, but recently I had the fuel build up on top of the fuel pressure regulator "hat". Come to find out the regulator was leaking. Had it changed and everything is great. the shop that changed mine had to remove the throttle body to get easeir access, but NO the manifold does not need to be removed. If you check PFYC.com, they have instruction on how to replace your current regulator with an adgustable, just follow those instructions but you will be replacing with a stock unit. a new regulator will run you between 50-70 depending on if you get it from a parts store or dealer.

intence
01-18-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm hoping it's not one of the O-rings, and that it's just a leak on the "hat" part of the regulator.

I did the following test, turned the ignition to "on" and waited about 10 seconds, took the key out and repeated. I'm thinking the fuel pump should send gas through the fuel lines, and if it was a line leak, then I would smell something.

If I don't have to take off the UIM, i'm going to try the regulator first (less labor intensive). Otherwise I guess i'm ripper off the intake manifold, and will change the o-rings.

redfox
01-18-2005, 08:28 AM
change the regulatopr first, should take about 30-45 minutes. the guys at the shop changed mine in about 30. and the UIM does not need to be rmoved.

intence
01-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks, do you know if the stock regulator comes with a replacement o-ring? Yeah, I think i'm going to do the regulator first .... they shouldn't have had to have pulled the rails to do the LIM, but you never know.

redfox
01-18-2005, 09:02 AM
i'm sure it comes with everything needed, it cost me $170 to have the regulator changed out at a shop, that was the regualtor, throttle body gasket (because they removed that to change out the regulator for clearance purposes) and labor.