02 Motor into a 99????? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 02 Motor into a 99?????

rap219
01-17-2005, 03:24 PM
So upon checking i've found that there is a difference in part numbers from my '99 3.4 to an '02 3.4. But i also seen that the blocks are same and so are heads, so my guess is its in the intake which would make sense due to early lim problems. but what i'm wondering is what i'll have to do in order to swap the new motor into my car. Possibly switch intakes and fuel rails???? Is it possible to just put the newer motor in as is and run it???? Hopefully, because i heard the newer motors are made better. just hopping someone in here has done this or is a mechanic and can help me. I'm kind of stuck at a stand still and no one around here can answer my question. Thanks

Ridenour
01-17-2005, 03:26 PM
shouldn't need to switch anything. The LIM gasket part number changed, yes. But I don't think anything else did. If you're intake doesn't fit right or whatever just take it off and put on a CAI or WAI.

Everything should fit fine.

AleroME
01-17-2005, 03:39 PM
EGR valve design change on the upper intake manifolds from the 99 and 00+up.

rap219
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM
so then, i can basically put this motor in my car???? Egr won't effect my car???? i already have a CAI so that will work. Anything else i need to know or any things i need to do to make it work???? Otherwise, thanx for the help

Blackrider
01-17-2005, 09:11 PM
I dont think there are any differences with the PCM regarding the EGR, But even if so just swap the 99UIM to the 2002 engine

rap219
01-17-2005, 10:43 PM
should i replace the head gaskets or intake gaskets on it???? it only has 30k miles on it. The newer ones have a better gasket on them don't they??? thanx again for the help

Blackrider
01-17-2005, 10:56 PM
should i replace the head gaskets or intake gaskets on it???? it only has 30k miles on it. The newer ones have a better gasket on them don't they??? thanx again for the help
I might be mistaken But i dont think the 02's came with the revised LIM gasket. If not I would replace that, if the head gasket isnt blow dont bother.

rap219
01-18-2005, 02:13 AM
cool cool, I really like this site. You get good answers quick. lastly what company makes a good lim gasket for this motor???? I want a good one so i don't have to deal with this again.

rap219
01-18-2005, 04:32 PM
????

AleroME
01-18-2005, 05:14 PM
only 1 company makes it and its felpro. they make it for GM and sell it through autozone, advance auto parts, o reliy's ..etc.

rap219
01-18-2005, 11:57 PM
Thanx, sounds good, does anyone know for sure though if i can use the 02 intake and get away with it???

rap219
01-19-2005, 05:12 AM
Is the intake gasket i need the one for the '02 or the one for the '99 if i put the '99 intake on the '02 motor????? or do they both have the same gasket??

Blackrider
01-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Is the intake gasket i need the one for the '02 or the one for the '99 if i put the '99 intake on the '02 motor????? or do they both have the same gasket??
Yes they both have the same defect. you dont need to change it out with a new one but your tempting fate.

for the LIM go to GM for it, they have an updated part number for it. thats the new gasket, it has a few improvments such as bolt hole renforcments and taps on the very edge of the gasket, and new torque specs.

DarkKnight
01-19-2005, 01:53 PM
The felpro gasket is the original design. Only GM has the revised gasket right now. (besides why would fel-pro toss out all those bad gaskets when people will buy 2 or 3 and blame the motor? :rolleyes: )The UIM part numbers are different becuase the stlyle of EGR valve changed, and since the EGR valve mounts to the UIM they needed a new part. You can simply use you old UIM for compatablility. IIRC the only real difference between the 96-99 and the 00+ egr is either top or side mount. They should be electronically compatible. Yes, you must keep egr both for emmissions and b/c the PCM will set a code for it. Also, *one* question mark is enough to let us know it's a question, ok? ;)

brsexton
01-19-2005, 06:59 PM
I might be mistaken But i dont think the 02's came with the revised LIM gasket. If not I would replace that, if the head gasket isnt blow dont bother.

Nope, a guy on Aleromod has an 03 with the problem. It was sometime on the late 03's they change was made.

rap219
01-19-2005, 07:15 PM
so i can use the 02 motor with its 02 intake in my 99? thats what it sounds like but i want to make sure one last time. Because that will save some time and i'd rather not pull the intake and stuff if i don't have to. thanx

Blackrider
01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
so i can use the 02 motor with its 02 intake in my 99? thats what it sounds like but i want to make sure one last time. Because that will save some time and i'd rather not pull the intake and stuff if i don't have to. thanx
You can always temped fate

rap219
01-19-2005, 10:39 PM
WEll, i'm going to replace the LIM, but i don't want to pull the intake back off the '99 if i don't have too. I just wanted to know if anyone w/ a 99 had swaped a newer motor into theirs. and if the newer intake will work fine.

DarkKnight
01-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Just check to make sure the electrical connector for the two EGRs is the same. Even if it's not, electrically the EGRs are the same, and you only need to solder in/re-pin a new connector for it. Otherwise, they are identical.

rap219
01-20-2005, 11:23 PM
thanx to everyone for the help.

rap219
03-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Well, Bringing this back to life.... I was just told yesterday that in order to do the swap from the 02 motor into my 99 i have to change the Upper intake, The Fuel Rail, and the timing chain cover. Which is a little different than whats posted in here. Just curious if anyone can verify this for me. With a "Definite" Answer. just ordered the 02 motor and am going to do all of the changes before i install the motor. Thanx, Rick

Blackrider
03-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, Bringing this back to life.... I was just told yesterday that in order to do the swap from the 02 motor into my 99 i have to change the Upper intake, The Fuel Rail, and the timing chain cover. Which is a little different than whats posted in here. Just curious if anyone can verify this for me. With a "Definite" Answer. just ordered the 02 motor and am going to do all of the changes before i install the motor. Thanx, Rick
I dont know who told you that but its falce except for the UIM.

95-GT
03-09-2005, 11:57 PM
Thats correct what Blackrider said. The timing cover is the same. Only differance would be the EGR placement, which can be fixed by getting the correct year EGR (and harness if its differant). There might be a differance in the cam trigger, but it uses the same sensor for the pickup. I think the guy you are going to is trying to get more money out of you.

Is the motor out of the car yet? If not, I will help you out doing the swap. I have all the tools and cherry picker here.

iceman
03-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Without going to look at my manuals.. I wouldn't say swapping an '02 motor in to a '99 is a direct fit (minus the already discussed items in this thread)... many electronic / electrical changes were made between 00 and 01, and each year also has updates to it as well.. Things might physically fit, but harnesses will have different plugs on them, wires will be swapped around, etc.

If I were you, I'd read over schems between 02 and 99 for the engine harness / rest of the car verrrry carefully.... too many variables imo. no reason to swap a newer year motor in, if yours is busted, repair it.. simple as that.

Blackrider
03-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Thats correct what Blackrider said. The timing cover is the same. Only differance would be the EGR placement, which can be fixed by getting the correct year EGR (and harness if its differant). There might be a differance in the cam trigger, but it uses the same sensor for the pickup. I think the guy you are going to is trying to get more money out of you.

Is the motor out of the car yet? If not, I will help you out doing the swap. I have all the tools and cherry picker here.
Cam trigger changed 03 same with the Crank sensor.

95-GT
03-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Ok, I wasnt sure if it was in 02 or 03.

Seth - Even if something is broken on his current motor, he can still swap sensors over to the 02 motor. I used a 02 motor for my swap, and its pretty much the same thing. The timing cover and fuel rails would NOT have changed between 99 and 02. I believe the harness is differant, but if he has to swap the UIM over anyways, its only 2 more bolts to swap the fuel rail/harness/injectors over with it - a 2 minute job at most.

iceman
03-10-2005, 12:35 AM
:werd I was just sayin toi watch out, it's the dumb little things that always get in the way lol like wires, plugs changed here and there etc.. after this booster install this past few days, I'm convinced GM changes things and makes things difficult for the sole reason to **** off driveway mechanics :)

95-GT
03-10-2005, 12:41 AM
lmao, tell me about it. Or they made it so hard to get in, that you HAVE to take it to the dealer to get fixed.

rap219
03-10-2005, 01:53 PM
95-GT what year GA did you swap the 02 motor into???? Well, i may take you up on your offer too. I already pulled the upper and lower intake and other top end things off. block and heads are about all thats left in the bay. I'd have to rent a dolly, (to hard to get it on a trailer and always tears up my front end taking it on and off.) and pull my GA out behind my truck. And toss my new motor in the bed of the truck. But, i have alot of family out that way i can stay with. Well, my motor is screwed, leaked collant through the whole thing, broke a lifter off, and ground out part of the cam. So its ALOT cheaper for me to just replace it. Plus its hard to say what else is wrong, i stopped tearing at it once i saw this. I'm getting an '02 motor with 3K miles for $400 and about $175 to ship it here. So its alot cheaper and will be basically a brand new motor.

95-GT
03-10-2005, 03:44 PM
I swapped a 02 motor into a 95.