Getting a "ryder" put on my car... any advice>> [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a "ryder" put on my car... any advice>>

BadGT471
01-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Hey guys,

I am planning on going down to the insurance company agent tomorrow to get a ryder put on my car... I have an 02 GAGT with a ton of aftermarket stuff.. hood, body kit, stereo system, HID conversion kit, alarm, etc... Anyways, whats the best way to go about this? Do I just make a list of what I have, and an estimate of what I have in my car is worth? Also, does an insurance agent inspect my car then and approve it or what? Do they cost a lot more to add to your regular policy? If someone can let me know, that would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff

BinderNut
01-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Each insurance company handles policy riders dufferently. If it's like my company (NoDak Mutual), they will have an appraiser/adjuster come out and do an inspection and they want a detailed list of what is installed and cost.

Be sure to find out if the rider you have is for true replacement cost, or will they depreciate it out when you turn in a claim XX months down the road. If they depreciate it, it's likely not worth the time and effort...true replacement cost is what you want.

Your idea and their idea of value will likely differ too unless the appraiser is a real car nut instead of a numbers man.

Be sure you're sitting down when they give you the price! :D

BadGT471
01-18-2005, 05:39 PM
What do they usually run ON TOP of an insurance policy... any ideas???

Jeff

BinderNut
01-18-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't have any riders on anything I've got right now, but a few years ago I had a 69 Coronet with a little engine/stereo/body/paint work. Regular comp/collision/liability coverage on that thing was $600 a year for a nearly 30 year old car. To cover the stereo ($400 of equipment), paint (did it myself...I put down a value of $2500 as quoted to me by a bodyshop-owner friend), and actual replacement cost of any body panels needed to repair a collision, it cost an extra $500 per year. IIRC, I had a total vehicle loss value of $8,000 on it. My plan was setup that if cost to repair exceeded that amount they would've totaled it.

Also, this was on a multi-car policy with a clean record and I was out of the "high-risk" age group when I enrolled. It was definitely overkill for me living in rural North Dakota , but worth it at the time as I was really attached to the car.

My current project is a 52 IH pickup, fully rodded. I expect to pay around $700-1000 yearly to insure it but it's at least a year from completion yet so I haven't locked down any solid options for insurance yet.