Ignition wire issue... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Ignition wire issue...

Hexx
01-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I got the front spark plugs changed all fine. The rear ones...hahaha....I cant even get the damn plug wires off of them. I broke one of the wires...it got pulled right from the boot. So NOW I cant do anything. I do have new wires, but without pulling what I broke, Im SOL.

I tried using plyers to pull it out, but no matter HOW HARD I pull, it doesnt come off the spark plug. WTF do I do???? It's cold as hell out too....argh...

GALover
01-18-2005, 12:23 PM
Get on AIM and pull reallllllllllllyyyy hard.

Hexx
01-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Ok so I got the POS out....so cold out....I thought I was gonna die.

Anyways, putting the spark plugs in is a bitch too. I broke some vacume lines...oops....I think I'll try and figure a way to replace them with RUBBER instead of plastic...which breaks.

Ridenour
01-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Yeh doing plugs on the 3.4 is a biotch. I just recently replaced my stockers with MSD 8 mm ignition wires / NGK Iridium XIII plugs. The damn stock wires ripped out 3 of their metal boot-clamp things. The plugs in the back are really hard to get in / out. I did it over the course of a morning using a mirror on a pole (great tool for stuff like that) and some extensions. When you do change wires / plugs, make sure you always do it one at a time, and wear gloves working on the back ones - lots of sharp sh1t back there.

Hexx
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeh doing plugs on the 3.4 is a biotch. I just recently replaced my stockers with MSD 8 mm ignition wires / NGK Iridium XIII plugs. The damn stock wires ripped out 3 of their metal boot-clamp things. The plugs in the back are really hard to get in / out. I did it over the course of a morning using a mirror on a pole (great tool for stuff like that) and some extensions. When you do change wires / plugs, make sure you always do it one at a time, and wear gloves working on the back ones - lots of sharp sh1t back there.

My right arm looks like I was trying to commit suicide....its all marked up going with the veins....sigh...lol

Two more to go, then I get the coils tomorrow...I hope the hell it starts...if it doesnt, ima grab some dry gas and some more regular to see what that can do.

Rogue9
01-19-2005, 02:40 AM
I pulled out 2 of the sockets from the spark plug wires changing my plugs. This is after I twisted and it had previous lube from electrolytic jelly application.

I just put more jelly in the boot and jamed it back in for now.
Pulled some of the wiring out fron the boot with pliers to help with the connection.

action
01-19-2005, 07:21 AM
I used a pair of vise grips and twisted the boot and pulling at the same time. This was pretty well the only thing that worked. You should never pull on the wire itself.

Just the same, since these plugs only need changing every 100k Kms, (platinum) you should replace the wires at the same time too.

Hexx
01-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah I bought some Bosch Platinum plugs and stock wires...stock coils too.

DarkKnight
01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah I bought some Bosch Platinum plugs

The *worst* plugs you could have picked up for your motor. :smack: :rolleyes:

Go with standard delco, or delco rapid fires.

Hexx
01-19-2005, 04:42 PM
The *worst* plugs you could have picked up for your motor. :smack: :rolleyes:

Go with standard delco, or delco rapid fires.
naw...ive always had good luck with Bosch. They were about the same price as the stockers. Plus they didn't have 6 acdelcos in stock...dunno why.

Ridenour
01-19-2005, 07:22 PM
Well some bosch's may be alright for the GA, but the platinum is deffinately not. I've read lots of horror stories around here of people that have problems with them - evidently they run way to hot for our engine. The platinum four prongs work actually worse then the single prongers in our engine cause they run so hot. If you're trying to buy plugs for performance, go with NGK Iridium XIII's. (or maybe it was VIII's, I don't remember) - I replaced my stock wires with MSD 8 mm's and my plugs with those NGK's, and I noticed a noticable difference in throttle response. They run colder then normal ones and have a lot stronger, cleaner spark.

action
01-20-2005, 12:59 PM
A set of Bosch Platinums ruined the newly rebuilt engine in my old truck. After 6 months the ceramic around the electrode broke down and peices were flying through the combustion chamber. Ruined the piston, scored the cylinder walls.

For my GA I just use Delco platinum, the GA will eat the regular plugs in no time. Plus even though they are more expensive (platinum) they only need to be changed every 100 000 kms.

DarkKnight
01-20-2005, 03:39 PM
naw...ive always had good luck with Bosch.

Exactly, you've been lucky. No less than 3 people are telling you the bosch platinums are a bad idea. If you read around on other 660 boards you'll see many more other people with bad experiences. However, it's your car. :meh:

Hexx
01-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Exactly, you've been lucky. No less than 3 people are telling you the bosch platinums are a bad idea. If you read around on other 660 boards you'll see many more other people with bad experiences. However, it's your car. :meh:

Well i got her started.....still having some issues.

I broke 2 vacume lines...you know the emissions **** that comes in the NY cars? Yeah I have that crap....and they are plastic lines...beh. So I bought some rubber tubes to fix the parts I broke...fit great....I dont know if this issue is related to it...prob not.

My car doesnt idle right at the moment. Oh yeah, I got my car started with some dry gas and more fuel put in it.....anyways, it goes from 500rpm to 1200ish rpm and back down to 500 again.

Would a reset of the computer work?

action
01-21-2005, 07:31 AM
Double check to see that the plug wires are on the right plugs. You may have 2 or more switched.

Hexx
01-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Double check to see that the plug wires are on the right plugs. You may have 2 or more switched.

They are all plugged in right....seems to be running fine now. Car shopping tomorrow....so we will see what I may or may not get....subaru, toyo, nissan, or something else :whistle:

SlimStyleGT
07-04-2007, 01:08 PM
How the hell do you guys get the wires in the back off?!? Haha, I'm frusterated as all hell... I can't even figure out how to get a vice grip in there to clamp down and twist and pull.

The first three, 2 came off easy with the twist method and the third was really on there... half the boot tore off, but since it was in the front it was easy to cut the rest off. I'm affraid the ones in the back will tear too and then I won't be able to cut if off since I cannot see them.

Advice at all?!?

Thanks much!!

Dave

silvergtjrad
07-04-2007, 01:11 PM
grab the boot and pull, thats all there is to it.