5 speed tranny problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed tranny problem

pjgrandey
01-18-2005, 09:43 PM
I've looked all over for a thread to answer my question. Maybe you can help. I have a 96 Grand AM GT with the 2.4 and a 5 speed manual tran. Recently 2nd gear stopped working and now 4th is acting up. I have a little experience with trans and manuals don't go out over night. My thinking is the shfit cables comming from the tran to the shifter. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Please help!

Matt95GT
01-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Describe exactly what it each gear is doing, I am not sure what you mean. Grinding? Difficulty getting into gear? other?

I doubt it's the shift cable, they break completely when they fail. The shifter goes limp in 1 direction. Most of the time you can feel it "snap"... mine was very obvious when the cable went.

action
01-19-2005, 07:15 AM
Syncros going bad???

pjgrandey
01-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Well it happened overnight one night it got real cold, and that will make sense in a moment. When I went to go into 2nd gear it went but when I let out on the clutch it threw it's self out of 2nd gear. A guy I took it to said he had the same problem with a saturn, and it's not really the shift cables but a plastic bushing on the shift cables had broke and was putting slack in the linkage so that when he went to put it into 2nd it wasn't going all the way and it would throw back out.

Matt95GT
01-19-2005, 10:39 AM
There is a rubber boot over the end of the shifter linkage, tho it would really have to be chewed up to bunch up enough to push the car out of gear. The only time my 95 (Isuzu, same as yours) popped out of gear was Reverse, and I was doing things I shouldn't have. :whistle:

Does this only happen in the cold? I wouldn't be surprised if it is only temp related.

tenspeed
01-19-2005, 01:44 PM
There are two cables. One cables determines which gate (1/2, 3/4, 5/R) you have chosen. The other cable is forward or back to select the gear.

You can pop the "leather" boot from around the shift lever and see what's happening down below.

The cables come out of the center of the firewall and arc to the left into the tranny. You should see them move if you have someone work the lever while you watch.

pjgrandey
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Turns out I need a new tranny, and can you beat this my heater core cracked last night too, cheap GM heater core had plastic lines instead of metal lines.