How to detect a bad 02 sensor? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How to detect a bad 02 sensor?

Ant
01-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Hey guys, i need a quick list of symptoms to look for in order to detect a bad o2 sensor. i've been getting HORRIFIC gas mileage (15mpg, or sometimes WAY worse). I've been driving like an old woman to try to combat this, and that's the best mpg i've got since the winter months started. I know i know, winter months = bad gas mileage due to the car running rich, but i don't think it sohuld be THIS bad.

so...i want to know of some other things I can check for in order to diagnose the problem. If there's a thread on this already, can someone post the link so we can lock this thread? thanks.

getTwisted
01-19-2005, 11:00 PM
is your check engine light on??? if so find somebody with a scan tool and find out what the problem is. If it is a bad o2 sensor then the check engine light should be on.

maybe check the airfilter too, the car might be starving for air.

also check your brakes, make sure the calipers are not stuck and forcing the car to work harder when accelerating, if your wheels are extremely hot after driving the car, or when going up a hill the car seems to have to pull harder than normal then something is wrong with your brakes.

and last but not least, maybe even check to see if the injectors are leaking o-rings might be worn out, I wouldn't think that would be the case, but you never know!

good luck!

Ant
01-20-2005, 07:19 AM
no ses light....i think a dealer trip is going to be in order...

mikeyguru
01-20-2005, 11:27 AM
at one time my grand am was having problems similar to that and i couldnt figure it out. no ligghts no warnibg or anything. went to auto zone cuz they do the free obd testing. come to find out my engine was misfiring and some other stuff. they told me what the problem was. replaced the necassary parts problem solved. couldnt explain why the ses light didnt come on. saved me atrip to the dealer. you know they charge about 80 to 100 bucks just to look your car over?

Ant
01-20-2005, 01:47 PM
also, my car only has like...10XXX miles on it. i think it really may be my o2 sensor though, the more i think about it. When i installed my exhaust, i took it out. It was REALLY hot (apparently, due to the heater inside it), so i sprayed it with water. I sprayed it quite a bit, and i think it may have corroded away.

Also, sometimes my gas gauge will stay steady, and not move that much. Other times, i swear I can watch it go down. not a faulty fuel gauge, as it doesn't move back and forth...just varies speeds. It used to happen, then less frequent, now it doesn't happen at all. my explanation for this is it was on it's way out, and now is completely trashed.

keep throwing stuff at me guys....i appreciate your input.

zelda4325
01-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Ant whenver you find out what is wrong can you pm me because i have also noticed i get really bad mpg. for a tank i get 165 recently and also i did notice the gas gauge going down to fast when using the cruise control being set at 74.

SilverEcstasy
01-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Same here, after I installed my exhaust a while back my 02 senser made a loud clicking noise only once, after it warmed up. I could never figure it out.l

Guga2495
01-23-2005, 10:41 PM
yea its really messed up i floor it i get good mileage, i drive old granny i get ****ty mileage, its like its use to my drive it like i stole it driving lol

SilverEcstasy
01-23-2005, 11:47 PM
Well I notice when I used to unplug my battery after doing some electrical work, the car would run like **** after the ECU has already reset and I decide to go test out a new mod (aka, the cold air intake back then) and it sorta learns your driving style for that way. But the ECU technically is ALWAYS learning your driving style. I'm almost thinking I need to reset mine to let it relearn the way of life lol (slower driving)

Infernall
01-25-2005, 01:35 PM
Try changing your Fuel filter. My milage was craptastic before I changed mine.

Im on my 3rd filter @ 99,000 KMS.

pontga00
01-25-2005, 02:00 PM
I have the same issue...horrible gas mileage, and I can literally see the needle on the fuel gauge go down when I floor it on the highway. I changed the fuel filter over the summer, and it didn't help.

Braves299
01-25-2005, 02:22 PM
i have the same problem too..

GregFarz78
01-26-2005, 05:41 AM
also, my car only has like...10XXX miles on it. i think it really may be my o2 sensor though, the more i think about it. When i installed my exhaust, i took it out. It was REALLY hot (apparently, due to the heater inside it), so i sprayed it with water. I sprayed it quite a bit, and i think it may have corroded away.

Also, sometimes my gas gauge will stay steady, and not move that much. Other times, i swear I can watch it go down. not a faulty fuel gauge, as it doesn't move back and forth...just varies speeds. It used to happen, then less frequent, now it doesn't happen at all. my explanation for this is it was on it's way out, and now is completely trashed.

keep throwing stuff at me guys....i appreciate your input.

dude your car is still under warranty just take it to the dealer it could be a number of things everyone will have a different answer here.

omaha04GA
01-27-2005, 07:56 PM
Teh funnay was found (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705374)

I found it funny /shrug :doh: