the oil sign keep coming on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : the oil sign keep coming on

wilfredo soto
01-19-2005, 08:12 PM
ive been getting the oil sign not the one to change your oil the other one that looks like a tea keattle in the maunal it say that it could be low on oil so i got my oil changed and it went away a month later again bought oil and put it in it went away can some one help

coupe
01-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Drive your car to get it to opperational temp then shut it down and then keep lookin under it to see if you are leakin it. Start by doing that.

tenspeed
01-19-2005, 08:25 PM
You could open the hood and see how much oil is in the engine. Pouring a quart in everytime the light comes on is not the best solution.

coupe
01-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Its really not a solution at all.
Start by doing what i said, then move on from there.
The 3400 iirc does not really have a problem with leakin oil, that i know of anyhow.

ram444
01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
car might be burning oil too. just a guess.

carsarecool
01-19-2005, 11:40 PM
the 2.4 does

Breadfan
01-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Um, isn't that the oil pressure light too?

If you're getting bad oil pressure that could be a problem, and not one you want to drive on too much...

action
01-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Check the level on the dipstick, if its using that much oil you should be checking it at least every 2nd week and topping it off then.

Look under the car for leaks, if it is as bas as you say you should have it looked at in a garge. The 2.4l motor will often use a quart between oil changes, my 3.4 v6 uses 0 oil between changes.

wilfredo soto
01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
i have 3.4

wilfredo soto
01-20-2005, 04:17 PM
also the light does not stay on it came out when i turned it on in the morning when the car get warm it goes away for the day and i put some more oil

Mike Jung
01-20-2005, 07:12 PM
That oil warning light is for low oil pressure !

Does the engine make noise when the light is on ?

What temperature is it outside ?

What oil type are you using & grade ?

DON'T add oil unless the dipstick says you are low on the oil level !
(Adding too much oil in the engine is BAD !)

Could it be you are not getting oil pressure at cold start-up because it is really COLD outside & you have the wrong grade of oil ?
If it is really cold outside, the motor oil will gel/freeze-up (& not flow properly); depending on the outside air temperature & the grade of oil that you use.

I have seen this winter: -26C/-13F air temperarture outside in the morning.
I have in my GA:
German Castrol Syntec 0W30 synthetic motor oil (with a over-sized NAPA Gold [by Wix] oil filter) - that oil is rated to cold start to -40C/F (& pour point to -63C/-81F before freezing).
& a Optima Red Top battery.
No problems cold starting my car in the morning (without the help of a block heater) & no oil pressure warning light coming on.
& I am sure others will chime in with even colder temperatures without any oil pressure problems.

PS: the '99+ GA's with the 3.4L V6 engines - have a oil level check feature when you do a cold start during cranking, like in the morning (after the car sits around for a while, allowing the oil to drain back into the oil pan).
With a warning light on the dash gauge that says "LOW OIL".

Mike Jung
01-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Just had a bad thought...

Hope it is not sludge in the engine, blocking the flow of oil.
(like that happened recently to VW 1.8T engines & Dodge Durango's)

Have a look through the oil fill cap, for a peek at the condition of the valve train area for black sludge.

Maybe a time for an engine flush ?

wilfredo soto
01-21-2005, 06:32 PM
i took it to my mechanic he changed the i think he said oil pressure sensor and yes its been very cold in n.y.

Mike Jung
01-21-2005, 07:38 PM
i took it to my mechanic he changed the i think he said oil pressure sensor and yes its been very cold in n.y.
Good thing it was just a sensor; with no oil pressure/flow problem.

Smart thing to take it to your mechanic right-a-way, when there is a possible suspected oil pressure/flow problem.