Location of Coolant Temp Sensor - bad temp guage? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Location of Coolant Temp Sensor - bad temp guage?

Breadfan
01-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Did a search and came up empty...

My temp guage isn't working -- either the guage has died in the cluster or the sender is bad. -- Gauge will not go past the very first tick mark.

1.) Is there a way to test the temp sender? If they're cheap and easy to get at I'll just replace. I know on my Mustang grounding it will send the guage to full high, so you can make sure the guage is working. This may work for our cars? Yay, nay? (I suppose it's probably just a thermistor, in that case grounding it out should move the gauge...)

2.) Where is the temp sender located?

Thanks!

2002GT
01-20-2005, 10:29 AM
where you pour the coolant in (that resivor)

Breadfan
01-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Cool thanks.

Go figure I drove some people from work to lunch and the gauge works now. Wasn't working for 2 days, but the temp outside is warming up a bit - like 25 now, heh, I think maybe it froze when it was 5 out.

action
01-20-2005, 12:51 PM
I think the coolant temperature sensor is on the block somewhere, the sensor in the coolant bottle is a low coolant level switch, that triggers the warning light in the dash. The temperature of the fluid in the bottle would not give an acccurate reading of the engine temperature.

Check a Hayes Manual, there may be more than one, even older TBI injected chev engines had one sensor for the guage and another that sent a signal to the fuel injection computer.