quick electrical help. need ASAP [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : quick electrical help. need ASAP

Bad324
01-22-2005, 02:31 PM
ok my battery died last night and so i got a new one. well i get it all hooked up and when i try to start the car everything just dies. the strange thing is that i can leave the key on the accessory and on position and everything works fine. wat the hell is wrong with my car???

carsarecool
01-22-2005, 03:26 PM
make sure the terminals are getting a good solid connection, not just the part that screws in, the metal plate on the boot too. same thing happened to me i asked about it in the "grounded out my battery" thread, thought i fried the PCM but it was just too much
$%&! on the terminal post.

Bad324
01-22-2005, 03:36 PM
well i get power up until i try to start the car, did that happen to you as well?

gobraves02002
01-22-2005, 03:48 PM
remember when the car starts there is a slight idle, if not a good connection the connector can vibrate causing it to get a not so good connection

mr03SCT
01-22-2005, 06:26 PM
could it be your starter is not working?

from http://www.autoguide.net/rw-bbs/092899.html

OK, so the battery is dead but you want to try and deal with it yourself, what SHOULD you do now? Lots of people just run down to the local parts store and buy a new battery, but if you do that you have less than a 25% chance of FIXING your problem.
Ask yourself these questions FIRST:

Is the battery REALLY dead or is the starter not working?
Is the battery dead or is there a bad connection somewhere?
Is the battery dead because it is no good, or is it dead because the alternator hasn't been recharging it?
Is the battery dead or is there a problem in the ignition switch, starter relay or solenoid?
There are many problems that can cause a dead battery, or make a vehicle not start and you need to do a little testing if you don't want to waste money buying parts you don't need.
I will just give you a few checks that you can do, without any testing equipment that will help get you going in the right direction.

First, turn off all accessories and open a window so that you can hear what is going on. (Unless you are in a rain storm or an area with a lot of noise around.)

Turn the key to the start position and see what kind of noise you hear. If you just hear one click as you turn the key, you may not have a battery problem at all.

Turn on the interior lights so that you can watch them as you turn the key to start again and see if the lights go out or go real dim. If the lights don't change a lot, you most likely don't have a battery problem.

If you just get a single click and just a slight blink of the lights when you try to start, you have a problem with the starting system. (Not necessarily the starter.)

However, if you don't hear any noise AT ALL, do the test again with the interior light on as above. If nothing happens, check to make sure the shifter lever is in the park or neutral position or make sure the clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor if it is a standard transmission. You should even try moving the gearshift lever between park and neutral a couple of times and try it again. If you vehicle has a clutch, pump the pedal up and down a couple of times.

If you still don't get anything to happen you may have problems in any of the following areas; Neutral safety switch, (Clutch switch if it is a standard.) Ignition switch, Starter relay or solenoid. Needless to say, this testing will only work if there is enough "JUICE" in the battery to make the lights come on. If the battery is "STONE" dead, you will have no lights at all.

So, what if the battery is stone dead?

This is when you need help from a friend or neighbor with jumper cables.

When you get the vehicles hooked together with the jumper cables, being careful that you hook them up correctly, turn on the interior lights BEFORE you try to start the vehicle.

Watch the lights as you start the vehicle and when the cables are disconnected after it starts. The lights SHOULD go a little dim as the vehicle starts, but then they should go full bright as soon as the engines is running and STAY that bright after the jumper cables are disconnected.

If the vehicle will not stay running after the jumpers are taken off, just leave them hooked up for a few minutes, with the other vehicle running, to get a little juice into your battery.

Now try the test again but still keep an eye on the interior light.

If the vehicle starts and stays running now turn on your headlights after the jumpers are taken off and see what happens to the interior lights. They SHOULD stay as bright as they were when the vehicle first started.

If the interior lights go dimmer as you turn on the headlights, turn the blower fan and wipers on to see if they go dimmer yet. If this does make the lights go dimmer, you have a Charging system problem. (Not necessarily the alternator.)

Next week, how to figure things out if all you get is a Rrrrrrring noise and the engine just turns over very slow.

Bad324
01-23-2005, 09:00 AM
well i know for sure the battery was dead, tested it and it has been dying for months now. so i needed a new battery anyway but is this for sure the starter or could it be an alternator problem?

eaglesrealm
01-23-2005, 09:14 AM
If you do not have the tools, Autozone can do battery and alternator tests at their stores. This should help rule out or show if one of those is the issue.

Bad324
01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
well the problem is i cant get my car started to get the alternator tested. i know the battery is fine, its brand new. so im not sure what to do right now

AaronGAGT
01-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Fuel pump coming on??

mcgrady
01-23-2005, 02:33 PM
Sounds like your starter drive is seized. A bad alternator doesn't keep a car from starting. I'm assuming the car does not turn over, correct???

Bad324
01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
pretty sure the fuel pump is on

no the car doesnt turn over at all

mcgrady
01-23-2005, 04:32 PM
If you have anyone with you, get them to crank the car while you tap the starter with a hammer. Sometimes that works if the starter drive isn't completely seized.

carsarecool
01-25-2005, 09:55 AM
and yeah i did get some power til i tried to crank it, but msotly ther car went crazy with the key in "acc" or "on", all the dash lights flickered and clicked and it made clicking noises from the BCM- the tech said low voltage can cause all that. does everything work fine til you crank it? if it does, then its most likely the starter, or the fusable link to the starter. if you have a multimeter you can check the volts at the battery and at the starter

Bad324
01-25-2005, 11:07 AM
alright well for the hell of it i just took out the battery and re put it in and it miracurously started. so all is well now but i still wanna take it somewhere to make sure its not gonna reoccur

Matt95GT
01-25-2005, 11:50 AM
well i get power up until i try to start the car, did that happen to you as well?

That's exactly what mine did when the terminal was dirty/corroded.

Don't do anything else until you clean up that terminal ring on your wires. Take the boot off and give it some elbow grease with a file.

Bad324
01-25-2005, 03:54 PM
^^cool looks like ill be doing that this weekend. thanks!