wrecked my front bumper, need help [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : wrecked my front bumper, need help

CTGT1
01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok so yesterday the weather in eastern PA was awful, and I was pulling back into my parking lot, when I tried to take the most insignificant turn ever, my car wouldn't turn and I slid into an embankment. It all happened pretty slowly and the only damage was that I cracked my front bumper near the passenger side fog light.
I definately need a front bumper, so my roomate, his friend (who works at a body shop) are going to install it ourselves.
I put this post in the technical section because I'm wondering from everyone's experience, should I have the bumper painted first and then installed? Or should I install it first and then take it to get painted?

rizer
01-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Well, its gonna be easier to have it painted with it off. That way you dont have to cover up parts to prevent overspray.
Only thing is color matching

CTGT1
01-23-2005, 10:27 PM
Good call. The thing is, I'm gonna take it to a dealership to have it painted, are they gonna mind if I just give them a bumper to paint?

matthar924
01-23-2005, 10:52 PM
Having worked in a body shop before, I never once saw a bumper cover painted while on the car therefore if the dealer gives you a hard time to paint the cover off the car, find a new dealer! If your paint is pretty decent as is, you shouldn't have to worry about color matching very much. If your roomates friend works in a body shop, why not take it there to get painted? I suppose I'm biased towards dealerships and usually friends pay more attention to detail than a dealership would, unless of course your friend works at a dealer body shop.

tenspeed
01-24-2005, 11:39 PM
I bought a used bumper cover painted in my color on eBay. It was $175 shipped. Look around, you might find one in your color.

MTLINFO
01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I bought a used bumper cover painted in my color on eBay. It was $175 shipped. Look around, you might find one in your color.

Same thing for me here. Bought it used already painted from a guy in Reading, PA.

It saved me a few $100s right there. If you need his email just PM me.

CTGT1
01-25-2005, 02:55 PM
thanks.
Yea I'm gonna keep a look out on ebay. If anyone else comes across a black painted front bumper for an '00 GT, lemme know. Thanks!

rizer
01-25-2005, 06:15 PM
In case you didnt know, im pretty sure anything 99+ will work. Just didnt want you to be keeping a eye out for a 2k only :)