head gasket or intake ????? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : head gasket or intake ?????

scale
01-24-2005, 11:26 PM
I have antifreeze in my oil on my 1993 3.3l.

I have pulled the intake manifold and found the following. Do you think this is the source of the antifreeze in the oil?

These are pics of intake port on the head, the gasket, and the intake port itself.

Any thoughts. Looks like it was leaking to me.

Violator
01-29-2005, 02:07 AM
I swear I just saw this post..... Anyway yeas the intake gasket change it out and clean everything really good change the oil and call it a day.

Malaclypse
01-29-2005, 02:31 AM
Intake gaskets = fuct. Change them, clean all sealing surfaces, reinstall intake and you're done.

Draug
01-29-2005, 03:00 AM
Intake gaskets = fuct. Change them, clean all sealing surfaces, reinstall intake and you're done.

When I changed my LIM gasket last month, it looked just like that.

That was only 2500 kms ago.

Now, it has ruptured again in the same spot.

Can something be causing this? My only theory so far is a coolant cap that was not venting properly; other than that, I have no ideas.

Malaclypse
01-29-2005, 03:07 AM
A radiator cap that's holding more pressure could easily cause this problem. However, its very unlikely. Most aged radiator caps will hold less pressure than new ones. (Unless replaced with aftermarket parts. IE 16 - 18 psi caps from Autozone/O'Reilly etc.)

The only other cause would be an error in the installation. I'm not dogging you or anything, but was there a torque wrench handy? Were the bolts coated in loc-tite before installation? Were the bolts cleaned prior to being loc-tited and installed?

I replaced my LIM gaskets 60k+ ago... and haven't had a problem with a leak. I used a calibrated 3/8" craftsman torque wrench, blue loc-tite and cleaned all the surfaces with a die-grinder and a 3M plastic cleaning wheel. I also took the stock torque specs and added 2 ft/lbs to compensate for the extensions and swivels I had to use to get to the bolts at each corner.

Draug
01-29-2005, 03:15 AM
The only other cause would be an error in the installation. I'm not dogging you or anything, but was there a torque wrench handy? Were the bolts coated in loc-tite before installation? Were the bolts cleaned prior to being loc-tited and installed?

I replaced my LIM gaskets 60k+ ago... and haven't had a problem with a leak. I used a calibrated 3/8" craftsman torque wrench, blue loc-tite and cleaned all the surfaces with a die-grinder and a 3M plastic cleaning wheel.

No offence taken. But, my install was maticulous.

My install matches yours perfectly. Cleaned all bolts with a wire brush, used blue locktite, and torqued them to spec. Funny enough, I also used a Craftsman torque wrench.

Only difference is that I didnt use a grinding wheel. Instead, I used the old fashioned hand file (very, very fine). Cleaned all surfaces with Carb Cleaner after to make sure there was no oily film.

The install should have been perfect.

I am getting the rad cap tested tomorrow. If it isnt that, I dont know where to look next. :(

Draug
01-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, I got the cap tested, and it released at 20 psi.

Definately too high, but doesnt guarantee that it caused any failure.

I will have more information later tonight when I get it all ripped apart.

Draug
01-31-2005, 04:57 AM
Well, I finished taking it apart. The LIM gasket looks decent, pretty much like it did when I put it in. I did notice one thing tho; on the center parts that surround the air passage ways it appears that some oil was escaping into the airway. When I put the new one together, I added 2 NM to the torque spec to hopefully rectify that.

I ruled out the head gasket, based on the fact that there was still a film of dirt all around the exterior. I know it wasnt leaking internally, since my coolant was still perfectly clean.

Since the water pump was less than $50 Cdn, I put a new one of those on too while I had it apart this time.

My best conclusion as to what happened is that the coolant pressure built too high, and it squeezed the coolant out the LIM gasket. There was very little coolant in the oil, but it was detectable.

Basically, the cap pressure combined with the detectable coolant in the oil, and the film of dirt around the head gasket allowed me to bet it was the LIM gasket rather than the head gasket. Lets hope I win the bet!