Location of Coolant Temp Sensor [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Location of Coolant Temp Sensor

dennistowell
01-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Well i have tried to search and find this but i came up with nothin. I am just trying to find where the temp sensor is on the 3.4L. I am guessing it is this thing located just outside the thermostat housing below the throtle body. if someone would let me know if that is it or not and if not point me in the right direction.

dennistowell
01-26-2005, 02:51 PM
anybody?

iceman
01-26-2005, 03:23 PM
Yep that's it.

dennistowell
01-26-2005, 08:52 PM
thanks, i have been having the SES light come on now for 4 months for low coolant temp. so i figure it is about time to start fixing this. i figure that it is easy enoughh to change a sensor that cost 10 bucks then to change the thermostat which is @#$%^ to get at and do. i guess the next question would be do i have to drian the coolant to change the sensor or can i just take out the old one and put in the new one with out a bunch of coolant spilling out

Gerbster
01-27-2005, 02:46 PM
I would guess that the thermostat is stuck open. This happened to me with the hypertech thermostat after it was in only for a year. I had the code checked and it was a low coolant temp.

dennistowell
01-27-2005, 08:36 PM
yeah it can be either a thermostat stuck open or a bad coolant temp sensor. i figure with the cost of a sensor only being $10 i would start with that and see if it fixes the problem. i really dont have the tools or time to change a thermostat and the dealer here want like $150 to do it. so i figure a $10 part is worth finding out if thats what is wrong.