Head Problems [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Head Problems

3400MAN
01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
I picked up a pair of cylinder heads recently that has one of the studs for the exhaust manifold (headers in my case) snapped off into the head. It's one of the studs on the exhaust side of the head if I am not calling it by its correct name. How can I get the remainder of the stud out? Do I have to drill it out and rethread or can I drill somewhat and then pound a flathead into it and try to turn it out. Advise??

Also, where can I find these studs?? 8 of them are missing.

Malaclypse
01-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Try and turn it out with a pick first. There shouldn't be any tension on the threads of the stud themselves. If that doesn't work, an EZ out and a drill might work.

3400MAN
01-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Do you mean pound a pick into the piece that is broken off inside the head and then turn it out? Won't the pick just turn too? Forgive me, but how does an EZ Out work?

GAGTSCTGuy
01-26-2005, 01:02 PM
It is a drill bit that the threads are opposite that of the bolts threads, so as you drill in to it, ez out turns the bolt out.

Malaclypse
01-26-2005, 01:04 PM
And when I say use a pick, try and find a rough spot to turn the bolt out counterclockwise with the pick. No pounding involved. If there isn't a whole lot of rust on the threads it should turn out pretty easy.

That's always nice to try first.

3400MAN
01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys. I will try both options. Anyone know where to get additional studs??